Duncan coral unhappy

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

We've had a Duncan coral for several years. It went from two heads to at least 12 heads. It has been one of our favorites.

But the last week or so it hasn't been opening fully. We did have a disaster recently with an upgrade to our system. We had a 125 installed to replace a 90 we had for years.

Long story short we ended up with an outbreak of marine velvet. So a month after transfer to the new tank we had to remove all the rocks again to rescue what few fish we had left by the time we realized what we were battling.

It hasn't been happy since.

We tried to put it in a similar location but it looked worse today so I did a dip in revive.

This is what came off. Some amphipods I think? There were four or five of the white thing.

Are these an issue?

Trying to sort this all out.

Thanks
70a5b7449e282cd5de8271544cf91328.jpg

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found my duncans to be a bit tempermental. I have two small colonies. Moving them around can tick them off. Leave them be in medium light and flow and they should open back up. It'll take them a while, mine did. The more you move it the longer it'll take to get over the switch.

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my duncans dont open all the way I know I need to test parameters, they are great indicator corals for me. They dont like change that includes moving to a different spot, adjustment in lighting, and change in flow. Like Robin said give them time to adjust and they should open within a few days.

OP
OP
S

Sonam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7049a1dd66fe64d13bf185106039a1a5.jpg

This is how they look today. Not their usual bushy selves but not as stringy either.

Thanks for the feedback. Will be patient.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

zaq11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

We've had a Duncan coral for several years. It went from two heads to at least 12 heads. It has been one of our favorites.

But the last week or so it hasn't been opening fully. We did have a disaster recently with an upgrade to our system. We had a 125 installed to replace a 90 we had for years.

Long story short we ended up with an outbreak of marine velvet. So a month after transfer to the new tank we had to remove all the rocks again to rescue what few fish we had left by the time we realized what we were battling.

It hasn't been happy since.

We tried to put it in a similar location but it looked worse today so I did a dip in revive.

This is what came off. Some amphipods I think? There were four or five of the white thing.

Are these an issue?

Trying to sort this all out.

Thanks
70a5b7449e282cd5de8271544cf91328.jpg
try to dip it in the revive , it may has infection , and change it's location in the tank

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back