Help with my duncan

krystinaxlea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this guy about a week ago and I noticed this is happening at the base. We did a coral dip and acclimated it. I'm not sure what's going on and I'm still in my first year starting out so any suggestions or answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

P.s ignore the fact he's shrunken in a bit, I just moved him a little to get a better picture.
20240407_153711.jpg
20240407_153721.jpg

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the outer skeleton is tad damaged - could've been shipping or fragging. I've had only half of one head (a bonus throw in from a vendor). Given enough time (2 years) it has half a dozen full heads and is doing very well. I think the trick (if any) with duncans is leave them alone. I've dipped them before and it took months to recover. They'll adjust. I find that if I forget about them, they take care of themselves (assuming the basics of course).

OP
OP
K

krystinaxlea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the outer skeleton is tad damaged - could've been shipping or fragging. I've had only half of one head (a bonus throw in from a vendor). Given enough time (2 years) it has half a dozen full heads and is doing very well. I think the trick (if any) with duncans is leave them alone. I've dipped them before and it took months to recover. They'll adjust. I find that if I forget about them, they take care of themselves (assuming the basics of course).
Thank you!

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found duncans will sometimes do this after a stressful move/injury. What it is is basically tissue recession on the skeleton, usually does not kill the coral and if it's happy and water parameters are good it should recover in a few weeks, though an iodine dip wouldn't hurt to decrease the risk of further recession or infection

OP
OP
K

krystinaxlea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found duncans will sometimes do this after a stressful move/injury. What it is is basically tissue recession on the skeleton, usually does not kill the coral and if it's happy and water parameters are good it should recover in a few weeks, though an iodine dip wouldn't hurt to decrease the risk of further recession or infection
That's really good to know thank you!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back