Duncan irritated by clownfish

zxjoshxz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.

I recently added a small (2 heads) duncan frag from WWC to my 20 gallon cube and it was open and happy for a week or so. I noticed it closing up after some time while the rest of the frags on that frag rack were fine. As I continued to watch it I noticed my clowns trying to sit on it and biting at it. The clowns seem like they wanna host it but the Duncan is not having it at all. It wont open fully and the clowns don't seem like they are going to stop anytime soon. Will the Duncan eventually get used to this or am I gonna have to find a way to keep them off it? All my other frags are open and happy while my nitrates are stable around 10ppm and I have seen no change in alkalinity, pH, salinity, magnesium and calcium.

Any help is appreciated thanks!
IMG_6658.jpg
IMG_6659.jpg

OP
OP
zxjoshxz

zxjoshxz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill add on that I have actually moved it and they followed it to the new location.

leonardomanzano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill add on that I have actually moved it and they followed it to the new location.
you will have to choose between your clownfish or the coral, these guys are relentless when it comes to hosting a coral.
I had to separate my clownfish as one of them was killing my torch corals as he preferred hosting a torch over a 5" bubble tip anemone. my other clown fish also started taking a liking to my torch corals. Hopefully I can catch him hosting it before it damages its tentacles like the other did.
Fortunately the torch coral started opening up more but the damage is still very much visible. Hopefully it makes a speedy recovery over time.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said above, the clowns will eventually kill the coral, irritating to death. Choose between the clowns or the coral.

Sometimes the coral gets used to it, but more often then not, the coral succumbs to the constant irritation.

leonardomanzano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for responses guys. Got this frag for $5 not really too upset if I lose it. Don't have a frag tank so I will just have to see if it pulls through.
if you're okay with an eyesore in your tank, you could add a sort of protective shield around it.
like the bottom part of a water bottle with some holes or slits large enough for water to flow through it but small enough so that your clowns don't get through them.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back