Durso pipe question

  • Thread starter Thread starter jasonb87
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jasonb87

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 7, 2014
Messages
197
Reaction score
119
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 72g bow front.
My durso drain is gurgling and whistling but the water level is staying consistent in the overflow box. I have mag 9.5 return pump.

Sumo side is the flex spa pipe into a filter sock. The durso came with the tank and it height adjustable type. It also has what I would say are siphon break holes in the pipe (not sure why).

Any suggestions on getting it to silent up a bit?
 
Should also mention I do not have any 90's in the plumbing to the sump. Also do not have any restriction valves in the pump return side or drain to the sump
 
How deep is the drain pipe in to the sump? I find when the drain pipe is deeper in the water it makes less noise. Also if you have a ball valve on the return pump you can restrict it A LITTLE.
 
It's almost all the way Into the filter sock. Talked to a friend at my old LFS and he said to try and sponge like a bubble trap sponge cut to the size of the filter sock and put it under the drain to stop the echo in the pipe.
 
I had the same issue with the doors drain. The water level was fine, but quite a bit of air bubbles would exit the drain, causing A LOT of noise. The thing that helped me the most was to slow down the return pump. I have a DC pump, so it was pretty easy to fine tune. Once I found the correct flow, it became very quiet.
 
Thanks booker. I will probably swing by home depot after work tomorrow and pick up a valve and 2 barb fittings I was thinking of trying that same thing after more research. I was originally going to use the mag 7 but decided on the 9.5 Incase I upgrade to a bigger tank later.
 
Slowing my mag 9.5 didn't do anything for me. Got a piece of bubble trap foam with a hole half through it and ran my drain through it in the filter sock. Worked wonders!!!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new