Dwarf moray eel Help

gonzo620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys here is Sylar. I have a some concern. First one being he hasn’t eaten for a week. I’ve read they can go a bit without eating when introduced into tank life. Is there a food they just go crazy over that I could try? Another thing which is my main concern is this head shaking thing he’s doing. Here’s a video I spliced together.

USCG CWO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to switch between clams on the half shell and squid. The squid I buy fresh, cut up and freeze from my local Fresh Market. Clams on the half shell I get from LFS. Head shaking is they're searching for food. They don't see well so I use long dental forceps to put the food right in his face. I feed about every two-three days. He'll let me know if he's hungry. Hope this helps.

Shane

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two ways once a week and maybe add long as two weeks. A whole silversides and they are good. The head shaking is normal. Hope that helps.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend trying squid or octopus cut to appropriate size to get him eating. I'd stear clear of silversides. They're frozen gut intact. If they happen to thaw at some point during the supply chain they can spoil and a spoiled silverside can kill. They are also high in thiaminase which will open another set of issues.

Head twitching is pretty common in all captive morays. Can be as simple as an irritation from a bristleworm, elevated nitrates, or food stuck in the pharyngeal jaw... but it can also be neurological from lack of vitamin B. Vitamin soaks will are a good idea for captive morays that often don't have a greatly varied diet.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will eat a whole silverside 2-3 times per week.... Have you tried silversides? I grab a frozen silevrside from my freezer, and just offer it with a feeding stick. By the times it hits the water, its just fine. I have had my dwarf for a year and never had a problem with them going in frozen, into 80 degree water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back