Dwarf seahorse fry

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So I have my first round of seahorse fry and I’m terrified! I just got seahorses for the first time ever a few days ago so I’m a serious beginner and just wanted some advice. I kept the fry in the same tank with the adults. Not all of them made it unfortunately, they just never moved once they came out. My biggest concern is the water changes since they’re all in one tank. How do I do it?!? I’m worried I’ll suck them up the siphon!! Also all of my bbs died for some reason . obviously I shouldn’t feed them dead bbs but what else can they eat besides that? Any other tips you can share please feel free . I will definitely be appreciative of the advice. thanks!!

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t started my tank yet but maybe talk to folks at link below, they have some resources on their website that might help.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a hair algae filled messy 5 gal just for surprise batches. The tank yields just enough pods for 50 fry for 24-48hrs ... you might loose this batch but perhaps prepare a gallon jar or fishbowl for next batch. maybe place a chaeto filled jar near a sunny window

deetu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner.
You have to take fry out (use brine shrimp net, not siphon or turkey baster) and feed them separate.
10 gallon bare bottom tank with seasoned sponge filter and hitches (plastic plants or bird toy chains) will be best.
Best to start hatching and feeding enriched baby brine shrimp. Newly hatched bbs have the good nutrients but once they are 2 days old, they need to eat and should be enriched before feeding to the seahorse babies. Any extras you can keep separate in holding container with air bubbles... not air stone... and take out as much needed 8 hours before and enrich with Spirulina, zoe, or selcon. Keep water movement during this time also with airline in container.
Just a note... it's really hard to raise fry so don't take it personally if you lose them. Even seasoned seahorse keepers have trouble.
Good luck

OP
OP
I

irescuedogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to take fry out (use brine shrimp net, not siphon or turkey baster) and feed them separate.
10 gallon bare bottom tank with seasoned sponge filter and hitches (plastic plants or bird toy chains) will be best.
Best to start hatching and feeding enriched baby brine shrimp. Newly hatched bbs have the good nutrients but once they are 2 days old, they need to eat and should be enriched before feeding to the seahorse babies. Any extras you can keep separate in holding container with air bubbles... not air stone... and take out as much needed 8 hours before and enrich with Spirulina, zoe, or selcon. Keep water movement during this time also with airline in container.
Just a note... it's really hard to raise fry so don't take it personally if you lose them. Even seasoned seahorse keepers have trouble.
Good luck
For my first round I surprisingly didn’t lost any of them!

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck
Dwarf seahorse fry can be left in the tank and DON'T need to be removed.

deetu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan's feed vitamins comes from Seahorse Source
Alyssia has her own vitamin formula
Dwarf seahorse fry can be left in the tank and DON'T need to be removed.
I'm sorry, I didn't see that these were dwarf... jumped from another post.
Yes, you leave them in the tank with the adults. I liked to feed newly hatched bbs for couple days because they were smaller and then switch over to enriched bbs.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with newly hatched nauplii is that in addition to lacking DHA, they also have a tougher carapace making them much harder to digest. I've not seen any dwarf fry incapable of ingesting nauplii that have been ongrown and enriched.

deetu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So I have my first round of seahorse fry and I’m terrified! I just got seahorses for the first time ever a few days ago so I’m a serious beginner and just wanted some advice. I kept the fry in the same tank with the adults. Not all of them made it unfortunately, they just never moved once they came out. My biggest concern is the water changes since they’re all in one tank. How do I do it?!? I’m worried I’ll suck them up the siphon!! Also all of my bbs died for some reason . obviously I shouldn’t feed them dead bbs but what else can they eat besides that? Any other tips you can share please feel free . I will definitely be appreciative of the advice. thanks!!
Again, I am sorry I missed it was dwarfs. I would use a turkey baster to take out the dead bbs and poops at the bottom of the tank. This would give a small water change each day to keep ahead of the nitrates and ammonia (the more ponies you get, the quicker it comes) and I would still do a water change once a week. I would kink the hose to quickly stop the suction if I accidentally caught one and would shake it out of the tube. I used one the size between the airline tube and phyton.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back