Dwarf Seahorses Illegal??

Italeri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of starting a dwarf SH tank, and have a 8g Biocube that I can dedicate to them. I went to my LFS today to see how much they could get dwarves in for, and he called his supplier. The supplier said that Dwarf Seahorses are "sanctioned" because they might end up on the Endangered Species list. The supplier also said that it is illegal to buy or sell dwarf seahorses.... Does anyone know anything about this??? I would be really bummed if I can't get these little guys now....
frown.gif
I'm wondering if its only for wild-caught dwarves, and if captive bred are still ok.

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe through actual fish stores but they can be purchased through many sites online. I don't even know if there are places that sell tank bred ones. If your LFS is right then that is quite a surprise to me and I also was not able to find anything online about that

OP
OP
Italeri

Italeri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to do a little research myself, but couldnt find anything. I was kind of surprised to hear that from my LFS! I am thinking at the very least it is more for WC specimens and not CB.

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very odd... Maybe there's a different type that is on the endangered list? I know the Caribbean ones are not sanctioned or anything

OP
OP
Italeri

Italeri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... Like I said, was definitely surprised! You were saying there are many online sites selling them? I've only found LiveAquaria and they are out of stock. That was another reason why I was thinking they might be sanctioned...

Mr. E Wrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some species of seahorses that are considered vulvernable to becoming threatened. I am not sure if dwarf seahorses are one of them. I would always opt to go for captive bred instead of wild caught or pen raised. The success rate is much better going this route.

altolamprologus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're not illegal. There was a bill thing to make them protected a while ago but I don't think it passed. Anyway, get yours from seahorse source (Seahorse Source - Hippocampus zosterae) if you decide to get them. They're more expensive than wildcaught ones, but they're completely disease free and healthy and they have great customer service. I got mine there and they were fantastic.

BTW remember just about everything can kill a dwarf seahorse so make sure you start the tank with dry rock and dry or bagged live sand and disinfect all equipment and nets that have come into contact with other tanks :)

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info above have my dwarf tank cycled and just waiting for the funds for them. Long story short you can sell them in the states but is illegal to ship them out side due to their size and cites law of nothing smaller than 3" can be shipped over seas seahorse wise due to large full size adults being 1.5" they aren't legal to ship. Tons of info on seahorse.org I recently finished going through 188 pages of threads on there about dwarfs awesome info but its dead over there

OP
OP
Italeri

Italeri

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for clearing this up guys! I was definitely worried about not being able to get any! Thanks for the info. I have had several years of experience reefing, but am new to seahorses. Done a bit of research and believe I could successfully keep these little guys :) @ altolamprologus I have a 8g Biocube that I have put 4 lbs of DRY tonga branch rock. Also got a 10 lb bag of commercial live sand so i dont get any hydroids!

Fragmentationslv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a salt water fish shop in Las Vegas and a few of the wholesalers still have them so they are not illegal!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back