Dying torch coral - please help

jrhodes777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am quite new to keeping corals and reefing in general. My tank is a 40 gallon, about 5 months old now. I recently purchased this torch about two weeks ago. He was doing okay in my tank until two days ago. Now he is receded and has this brown slime on him. All other corals look happy and healthy. This torch is placed in low to flow and low light in my tank. I do 30% water changes about every three weeks to a month.
Tanks parameters:
ph- 8.0
ammonia- 0
nitrites- 0
nitrates- 10
temp- 78F
SG- 1.025
Ca- 440
Mg- 1320
KH- 8.9
I feed all of my corals 2-3 times a week with reef roids. I’ve included a picture - it looks awful. I assume that this is a bad sign but please any suggestions to help him live would be appreciated.
DE2B8096-84B2-4CB6-A313-896D49BF0FAF.jpeg
Thank you!

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s brown jelly disease. Not a lot you can do if it’s on a single head Frag. You can take it out and dip it in a strong iodine dip but I have never seen one make a recovery from the point that yours is at now. I’ll usually cut the infected head off from the colony and throw it out or remove the Frag from the tank to prevent it from spreading to other euphyllia in the tank. I’m sorry I know that’s not what you want to hear.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a hammer come back from that point, a little worse actually, but never a torch. Torch seem to be a bit harder to recover from that late stage.

OP
OP
J

jrhodes777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s brown jelly disease. Not a lot you can do if it’s on a single head Frag. You can take it out and dip it in a strong iodine dip but I have never seen one make a recovery from the point that yours is at now. I’ll usually cut the infected head off from the colony and throw it out or remove the Frag from the tank to prevent it from spreading to other euphyllia in the tank. I’m sorry I know that’s not what you want to hear.
Will it just spread to other euphyllia or will it spread to other corals?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can effect other corals too. This is not something that only effects one type of coral... it is just more commonly seen on euphyllia.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back