Dyno

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since it is from the ocean I would expect it to have ocean related bacteria. What do you think?

You need to inquire from your LFS, I am not going to guess.
If I was getting live rock I can tell you I would inquire… You know trust but verify….

If that works for you I am not going to question your choice. It is your tank after all so experiment away (poop and all..).

But, I do question ambiguous magic bottles that make outrageous claims, I don’t blindly put things in my tank, that would be silly.
There are number of other choices to Microbacter!!!! Live rock is one.

For the record I been reefing for 7+ years and while I might not have 1000+ posts, nor do I claim to know everything about reefing, I do know few things, what likely works and what is likely inflated claim. Also I tried few things and in reefing it is hard to tell the difference between cause and effect….

Anyway some pictures to calm down the situation:
1696174443559.jpeg

1696174476005.jpeg

Hopefully OP can remedy his Dino’s.
I don't really care for your condescending tone. And I am calm. Asking LFS employees is pretty much useless. It's their job to sell crap to you for the best possible price. It's why they do crap like keeping fish in hypo or low copper levels to mask parasites. Now, if you think a piece of new LR will magically get rid of dinos, good luck to you. And you are discrediting products on the principle of it, which is pretty silly.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mind adding live rock but have no room in sump so I woujd have to replace the mold with the new and then I wonder is that like cycling again and will I lose coral and fish? Beautiful corals btw, I ca t get mine to do that.

So do the Dino’s inhibit coral growth as well? If I’m reading all this correctly.
Don't replace anything. Never in my entire 20 years of doing this, did I hear of adding LR to get rid of dinos. You have an established tank. Adding "coral mass" is not the solution either. The very logic of is backward, not sure how to begin. Adding more corals to a tank where corals are struggling because of dinos. Dinos can suffocate corals. But again, you have to go to the root cause of what causes dinos. Changing LR to fight dinos is like buying a brand-new car to fix the engine on the old one. I suggest looking up "how to fight dinos in a reef aquarium" on Google. Read as many posts or articles as you can, and try some of the approaches suggested. I can only comment on what has worked for me from the suggestions that I have read on the interwebs and here. Whatever you do, do not change your LR. The simplest, least expensive solution at this point is adding a product and trying to vacuum out as much as you can. If you have spare money, an oversized UV unit with a dedicated pump won't hurt. Do you have enough space in your sump for an additional pump?

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about adding a UV light, my local fish store this will knock it out for good quick, I have no experience with them so no clue. They said it’s good for all types of algae like Dino hair .

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't replace anything. Never in my entire 20 years of doing this, did I hear of adding LR to get rid of dinos. You have an established tank. Adding "coral mass" is not the solution either. The very logic of is backward, not sure how to begin. Adding more corals to a tank where corals are struggling because of dinos. Dinos can suffocate corals. But again, you have to go to the root cause of what causes dinos. Changing LR to fight dinos is like buying a brand-new car to fix the engine on the old one. I suggest looking up "how to fight dinos in a reef aquarium" on Google. Read as many posts or articles as you can, and try some of the approaches suggested. I can only comment on what has worked for me from the suggestions that I have read on the interwebs and here. Whatever you do, do not change your LR. The simplest, least expensive solution at this point is adding a product and trying to vacuum out as much as you can. If you have spare money, an oversized UV unit with a dedicated pump won't hurt. Do you have enough space in your sump for an additional pump?
No room in sump . Have my retirn in there my skimmer, reactor it’s filled up.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do the Dino’s inhibit coral growth as well? If I’m reading all this correctly.
Unfortunately they do and you need to deal with it first.

The idea with LR is to add just few fresh pieces so your bacteria gets refreshed.

Most off the shelf solutions/potions have 5-12 different strains, i am just stating what some manufacturers said. Ocean LR has magnitude more…

You can do what Vetteguy said, he knows quite a bit. I only had one mild outbreak, so not expert on Dino’s. I just make sure my water parameters are on point and I don’t have to deal with them.

Adding or replacing few rocks with LR might be long term solution.

How big is your tank?

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately they do and you need to deal with it first.

The idea with LR is to add just few fresh pieces so your bacteria gets refreshed.

Most off the shelf solutions/potions have 5-12 different strains, i am just stating what some manufacturers said. Ocean LR has magnitude more…

You can do what Vetteguy said, he knows quite a bit. I only had one mild outbreak, so not expert on Dino’s. I just make sure my water parameters are on point and I don’t have to deal with them.

Adding or replacing few rocks with LR might be long term solution.

How big is your tank?
90, I’m seeing a lot of things saying go to a uv sterlizer cost money but in long run very good for Dino and all types of algae

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about adding a UV light, my local fish store this will knock it out for good quick, I have no experience with them so no clue. They said it’s good for all types of algae like Dino hair .
That's not necessarily true either. There is no one magic solution to algae and dino problems. UV units cannot sterilize what's on the rocks. However, some dinos enter the water column, and those can be dealt with. UV sterilizers are effective at controlling algae that are in the water column. Your LFS employee is kinda of full of it. If you are considering a sterilizer, I like to go with an oversized unit and a dedicated d.c. pump so that I can control the flow more effectively. It will definitely make your water much clearer.
One more thing, when you say you have LR, where is it from? Is it actually from the ocean, or is it man-made rock with live organisms on it?

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90, I’m seeing a lot of things saying go to a uv sterlizer cost money but in long run very good for Dino and all types of algae
Yes I did use one as well. I would recommend it, but I only used it for the Dino’s and it has been off line since. Not sure if it is good idea to run all the time. You do want bacteria in the water.

Maybe consider getting this one:
1696182780529.jpeg

Throw it out after….

90 gal is large tank, one thing with UV the units are not small so if you have no room for few rocks in the sump the UV might not fit. That is another problem with UV units.

OP
OP
K

kp33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I did use one as well. I would recommend it, but I only used it for the Dino’s and it has been off line since. Not sure if it is good idea to run all the time. You do want bacteria in the water.

Maybe consider getting this one:
1696182780529.jpeg

Throw it out after….

90 gal is large tank, one thing with UV the units are not small so if you have no room for few rocks in the sump the UV might not fit. That is another problem with UV units.
My LFs said they run uv in all their tanks all the time for whatever that’s worth

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFs said they run uv in all their tanks all the time for whatever that’s worth
There is maintenance required with UV, the glass tube needs to be cleaned up or it does nothing, the ballast can break, bulb needs to be replaced etc… I would not want to run it all the time.

I like things simple for example on filtration for my tank I have skimmer and I use activated carbon (20ml per 100L and I change it once a month). All the other filtering is done by corals. I have no floss, roller, sock, fuge or scrubber.

For your Dinos try what was mentioned in post 34 and give it few weeks.
If that doesn’t help consider other options UV, LR etc…

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there a type of snail or invertebrate that eats it?
Not claiming to be expert on these things. There are no known snails that eat them.

But what I understand and what makes some sense to me is that the strain of Dinos we usually deal with originated from the corals. It is the algae living inside the coral and when the conditions for the coral are not ideal they expel the Dinos.
Once outside the coral these Dino’s will attach to bare/ exposed surfaces and become a plague.
Corals are the inverts that eat them….

Not an expert but when I keep corals happy I have not seen Dino’s. Unhappy corals and I had Dino’s.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Pod_01 @kp33

I thought about what Pod said. I now understand where he is coming from. It seems that he pretty minimalistic, correct me if I am wrong, and more organic in his approach to reef keeping. I really respect that, and in some ways I do apply it in my practices. I think the idea of adding LR 5-10 lbs, 2-3 actual live rock like Fiji, or even Florida will not hurt and will be beneficial. With that said, I think you need to be very selective of where you are getting this rock from. There is a ton of shady vendors out there that will tell you anything you want to hear to get a couple of bucks. However, where Pod and I differ, is his reluctance to try products like Microbacter7. You will not solve your dino problem with just one method, it really does require multiple things to do. And sometimes that doesn't even work.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not claiming to be expert on these things. There are no known snails that eat them.

But what I understand and what makes some sense to me is that the strain of Dinos we usually deal with originated from the corals. It is the algae living inside the coral and when the conditions for the coral are not ideal they expel the Dinos.
Once outside the coral these Dino’s will attach to bare/ exposed surfaces and become a plague.
Corals are the inverts that eat them….

Not an expert but when I keep corals happy I have not seen Dino’s. Unhappy corals and I had Dino’s.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However, where Pod and I differ, is his reluctance to try products like Microbacter7.
Just an addition, I have tried numerous bacteria in a bottles (due to limited access to LR where I am) and unfortunately I did not observe drastic improvement. The manufacturer don’t tell you what is in the bottle and I suspect I was adding what I had in my tank.
Just to name few that I tried over the years Tropic Marin Nitrobiotic, Aquaforest Pro BioS, PNS ProBio, PNS Substrate Sauce, FM Bacto blend, FM Bacto Therapy and there are few more I forgot over the years.

I chatted with one of these manufacturers and they themselves suggested I get LR, reason bottles have limited bacteria strain types. They also suggested if possible one should replace small amount every 6 months in the sump to refresh the bacteria. Interesting manufacturer telling me to get something they don’t produce/provide.

I was able to get my hands on 3lb of LR about 6 months ago (paid fortune for it and that was all they had) and things did improve visually etc… corals are lot more open, things are lot more stable and the colour. Definitely it provided something the bacteria in a bottle lacked and my tank needed.

I believe the bacteria in a bottle helps is cases when the biofilm in the reef tank collapsed or you have new tank with dead rock and need to establish biofilm (when I started).
In my opinion if OP has access to fresh LR that would be my option 1, bottle would be option 2.
Depending on $$$ OP could get LR and few different bottles just to ensure bacteria diversity.

Also just to make sure for me this is a hobby, all I want is nice tank with lot of colours that I can enjoy in the evening.
This Dinos, bacteria types ICP testing manual testing I don’t find relaxing. I am not planning to be expert in any of it. So I try to find solutions that make reefing for me easy:
1696261495961.jpeg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back