Early stages of research

FnNewGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afternoon everyone. I've been lurking for the last couple of weeks, reading everything I can. I was into freshwater when I was younger, as in: buy a tank from Walmart and dump some Walmart fish into fresh tap-water, the same day.

I love the beauty of a reef tank, but I'm here to learn all I can and ask some questions along the way.

Its not an inexpensive hobby, so I want to be sure I know what I'm getting myself into, let alone make some livestock suffer for my novice mistakes.

I picked up a 29 Aqueon that was a previous freshwater setup from a friend of mine for free, with stand. Trying to decide if I want to take the plunge on upgrading this to Saltwater and getting all the necessary parts, or starting with an AIO for ease of use.

Anyways, glad to be here, I know there is a ton of knowledge on this site and glad to be a part of it.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afternoon everyone. I've been lurking for the last couple of weeks, reading everything I can. I was into freshwater when I was younger, as in: buy a tank from Walmart and dump some Walmart fish into fresh tap-water, the same day.

I love the beauty of a reef tank, but I'm here to learn all I can and ask some questions along the way.

Its not an inexpensive hobby, so I want to be sure I know what I'm getting myself into, let alone make some livestock suffer for my novice mistakes.

I picked up a 29 Aqueon that was a previous freshwater setup from a friend of mine for free, with stand. Trying to decide if I want to take the plunge on upgrading this to Saltwater and getting all the necessary parts, or starting with an AIO for ease of use.

Anyways, glad to be here, I know there is a ton of knowledge on this site and glad to be a part of it.

Thank you!
Hey fnNewguy,
Welcome, salty water is a challenge, but worth the effort.

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1703201799060.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!
I had freshwater all my life and decided to try saltwater. Would never go back, fish are way prettier, more personality and more variation. I say if you can make it salt go for it!

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
It doesn't HAVE TO be overly expensive but, like any hobby, you can spend a bunch when you start getting into it.

You could watch something like this for an idea of what's needed for a simple setup:
Budget Saltwater Aquarium
*I'm not promoting any of the specific equipment there,,, just for an idea of what's needed for a basic setup that you could do around your current 29 gallon tank

Finally, I'd guess that's it's not too uncommon to get started cheap and simple then later spend more $$$ on a nicer setup if you decide to stick with it.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like Aqueon tanks; I've used them almost exclusively since I got into the hobby 20 years ago.

The only issue I see with this tank is if you can drill it for bulkheads.

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!
That actually sounds like a good plan. Spend some cash on a decent light though. Reef Breeders or AI are good starts. I woukd look for something around 30-50 watts and proper color spectrum. Add live sand, live rock and salt water and you will have a good start. I don't like dosing start up chemicals. I like using stuff that already has a head start. Welcome Aboard !!

Reef 2 reef_20231005_074238_0000.png 20230916_145358_0000.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back