OP
OP
F

FnNewGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Aqueon tanks; I've used them almost exclusively since I got into the hobby 20 years ago.

The only issue I see with this tank is if you can drill it for bulkheads.

From what I have read, you cant drill Agueon tanks. On top of that, I don't know that I'm interested in doing a sump as my first go around anyways. I have been looking at the Fiji cube inserts or maybe a HOB set up

Welcome!
It doesn't HAVE TO be overly expensive but, like any hobby, you can spend a bunch when you start getting into it.

You could watch something like this for an idea of what's needed for a simple setup:
Budget Saltwater Aquarium
*I'm not promoting any of the specific equipment there,,, just for an idea of what's needed for a basic setup that you could do around your current 29 gallon tank

Finally, I'd guess that's it's not too uncommon to get started cheap and simple then later spend more $$$ on a nicer setup if you decide to stick with it.

I will look into that link, I appreciate it.

That actually sounds like a good plan. Spend some cash on a decent light though. Reef Breeders or AI are good starts. I woukd look for something around 30-50 watts and proper color spectrum. Add live sand, live rock and salt water and you will have a good start. I don't like dosing start up chemicals. I like using stuff that already has a head start. Welcome Aboard !!

Reef 2 reef_20231005_074238_0000.png 20230916_145358_0000.png

Lighting is actually one of my biggest question marks. It looks like you can spend as much or as little as you want on a light. In this industry does high dollar necessarily mean better?

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afternoon everyone. I've been lurking for the last couple of weeks, reading everything I can. I was into freshwater when I was younger, as in: buy a tank from Walmart and dump some Walmart fish into fresh tap-water, the same day.

I love the beauty of a reef tank, but I'm here to learn all I can and ask some questions along the way.

Its not an inexpensive hobby, so I want to be sure I know what I'm getting myself into, let alone make some livestock suffer for my novice mistakes.

I picked up a 29 Aqueon that was a previous freshwater setup from a friend of mine for free, with stand. Trying to decide if I want to take the plunge on upgrading this to Saltwater and getting all the necessary parts, or starting with an AIO for ease of use.

Anyways, glad to be here, I know there is a ton of knowledge on this site and glad to be a part of it.

Thank you!
Welcome to R2R!! You will love it here. Everyone is very knowledgeable and willing to help! Saltwater is sooo worth it!! Yes it is expensive, but that is a very relative term. First thing is to determine what kind of inhabitants you want. Will it be a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) tank? A community/reef tank?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting is actually one of my biggest question marks. It looks like you can spend as much or as little as you want on a light. In this industry does high dollar necessarily mean better?
Basically the higher the price the more bells and whistles you get, but you can run super cheap lights without issues.

For lights, as long as they have enough PAR of the right spectrum (wavelengths/nm), they'll grow anything you want just fine.

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have read, you cant drill Agueon tanks. On top of that, I don't know that I'm interested in doing a sump as my first go around anyways. I have been looking at the Fiji cube inserts or maybe a HOB set up

I will look into that link, I appreciate it.

No it does not, there is a minimal threshold but that doesn't mean hundreds.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! :cool: Ask away, the community is here to support you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back