Early Yellow Gorgonian Success

TravisParsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early Gorgonian success!

Yellow Gorgonian's are notoriously hard to keep alive. I have read frequently that specimens die shortly after introduction or slowly due to polyps never extending.

I am happy to report an early sign of success.

I got this yellow gorgonian to extend its white feeding polyps after only 4 days of introduction. I credit this to optimal conditions, and stimuli stemming from broadcast dosing a ReefRoids and BRS Reef Chili mixture.

It is placed in a nearly shaded area with a tremendous amount of flow. Its outter coating peeled off a day after introduction. I am theorizing this could have helped with the stress of environmental changes by providing a dead layer of protection during transport.

IMG_4674.JPG

LV3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this doing? I just picked up a frag today and am acclimating it to my display.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fwiw. The waxy coating is constantly shed by most gorgs. It's part of growth and cleaning.
Nps gorgs like similar flow to sps to both clean off the skin and also to feed.
You may want to consider a carbon dosing strategy or just vitamin c like for Zoas. Bacteria is a ctuall a food. Aminos and yeast are also know to do well for them.

OP
OP
TravisParsley

TravisParsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I am familiar with the wax coat shedding. I have a purple whip that sheds every other week. I have had it for almost two years with good growth. My theory about the new addition ( The yellow Gorg) was more of pointing out that it already had a dead layer of waxy coating protecting it during transport - with the dead layer being hit with air that is cold instead of direct contact with healthy tissue.

I dont feel a need to carbon dose, considering the 2 year existing success with the purple wip and red flame scallops. The Reef Chili/ Reef Roids mix has worked great. I believe that my fish provide a good amount of amino acids. I do agree and believe that bacteria is one of many food sources. I dont do too many water changes and feel this helps maintain a decent amount of bacteria. I do have my 3 MP40 vortech pumps set to nutrient export mode at 100% for a 15 minute violent washing cycle every morning before lights go on and before my LPS polyps extend (preventing any tearing).

The Yellow Gorg seems to still be doing well. The polyps have started to follow a more expected routine of extending fully at night when the lights are off.

I will post new photos soon.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
they dont do well usually because people dont feed them ..lol you have to stay on top of it thats all.sounds like you are on the right track

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great job and beautiful!

OP
OP
TravisParsley

TravisParsley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also mention - I have a constant loop recording of the roaring ocean playing on an old ipod which is built into the canopy. It plays 24/7. I have no direct evidence that the sound vibrations help, but its part of my theory / experiment and may be worth noting.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your suspicions on why it did not last?
not 100% sure but here are my thoughts:
1st NPS coral
tank was under 1 year old ( used TBS rock tho )
not enough flow. this is a big one.
most of all my other gorgd did great until a alage outbreak then I lost 1/2

so I am guessing it was a combo of all the above I might try again at some point.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back