Earmuff wrasse yes or no ?

Eddie7144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The earmuff is one of my favorite, from the all the reading I've done they seem to be peaceful fish yet all the LFS say the opposite, that they are aggressive, so not sure who to believe. I have a radiant wrasse, melanarus, checkerboard, solar, orange back , 2 clowns and a pyramid butterfly, in a 150 gal 6 foot long tank. So is the earmuff a terror ? Or a peaceful fish ? Please let me know what your experience has been with this fish. Thanks.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re not particularly aggressive but your checkerboard will grow large and will likely bully it and the radiant, perhaps the melanarus as well.

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having owned earmuffs (halichoeres melasmapos) for almost the last ten years, I can tell you there is no more of a model citizen fish out there. Quite possibly the most peaceful and friendly fish I've ever come across haha

Your issues will arise from how aggressive your other wrasse are. If they're peaceful enough then you won't have any issues from the earmuff :) basically what @4FordFamily sais :)

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine about 4 years and he is the most laid back fish in the tank. He bothers no other fish (and no one messes with him...not even my tangs). He has become a little bit of a snail hunter since he got large but I'll trade an occasional snail for him.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine about 4 years and he is the most laid back fish in the tank. He bothers no other fish (and no one messes with him...not even my tangs). He has become a little bit of a snail hunter since he got large but I'll trade an occasional snail for him.
I knew i forgot to tag someone who had one lol

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back