Easiest coral doing the worst

BZreef16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Riddle me this......

I have a 1 year old 15g mixed tank with Digi's Monti's, Acro's etc.... I have frogspawn, hammers and a torch. All of which are doing great with PE and growth. The only corals that have taken a turn (basically overnight) are a rock full of GSP and and neon Kenya tree.

The KT will partially open throughout the day, but never full like it used it too. The GSP will no extend at all and remain dormant. It used to extend just fine.

The only thing I have changed was salt mix from Reef Crystals to Red Sea Pro....... Can imagine a 20% WC with new salt would be enough to do this?

Parameters:
Cal: 480
Alk: 10
Mag: 1300
Ph: 7.8-8.0
po4: 0.1
no3: 10-20

Regimen
20% WC bi-weekly, 20ml/day AFR, 2ml/day nitrate.

Current:
IMG_8270.jpg
IMG_8269.jpg

Before:

IMG_8142.jpg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Riddle me this......

I have a 1 year old 15g mixed tank with Digi's Monti's, Acro's etc.... I have frogspawn, hammers and a torch. All of which are doing great with PE and growth. The only corals that have taken a turn (basically overnight) are a rock full of GSP and and neon Kenya tree.

The KT will partially open throughout the day, but never full like it used it too. The GSP will no extend at all and remain dormant. It used to extend just fine.

The only thing I have changed was salt mix from Reef Crystals to Red Sea Pro....... Can imagine a 20% WC with new salt would be enough to do this?

Parameters:
Cal: 480
Alk: 10
Mag: 1300
Ph: 7.8-8.0
po4: 0.1
no3: 10-20

Regimen
20% WC bi-weekly, 20ml/day AFR, 2ml/day nitrate.

Current:
IMG_8270.jpg
IMG_8269.jpg

Before:

IMG_8142.jpg
Sometimes things go weird for no reason.
Did you ween on to the new salt or did you run out and bought a different brand?

Do you run GAC?

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All your parameters look good. Dont see many fish? Do you feed the tank besides just nitrate dosing?

Also do you have something hanging out over there that might be crawling on it? Emarald crab or something that likes to move atound on it?

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind on the fish. I do see some in there. Maybe just something messing with them

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I’m in the same boat. Half my gsp is turning brown but everything else is thriving. Numbers are perfect. No changes to salt or anything. Grew this gsp from quarter size frag to multiple 6-8” colonies in this tank. It’s just slowly dying off and I have no idea why

OP
OP
B

BZreef16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes things go weird for no reason.
Did you ween on to the new salt or did you run out and bought a different brand?

Do you run GAC?
I heard good reviews on RS pro so I thought I would try it given the elevated KH. I do not run GAC unless I see necessary.

OP
OP
B

BZreef16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind on the fish. I do see some in there. Maybe just something messing with them
I work 8hrs directly next to it and have not noticed anything picking at them. I have 1 blue leg and the rest snails..... so I don't think anything would mess with them.

OP
OP
B

BZreef16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I’m in the same boat. Half my gsp is turning brown but everything else is thriving. Numbers are perfect. No changes to salt or anything. Grew this gsp from quarter size frag to multiple 6-8” colonies in this tank. It’s just slowly dying off and I have no idea why
Let me know if you find anything out.... and I'll do the same. Im just going to run the same course for now.

sugar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a similar boat with a finger leather frag and green cabbage leather frag. Everything else is flourishing but these two frags have been shrinking and withering away, and now are so tiny I feel like they are just going to disappear.

I ruled out nutrients being the issue; Ca and Alk are fine also.

I planned on purchasing a test kit for iodine/iodide just for kicks.

Since everything else is doing well, I really don't want to do too much more (I adjusted my feeding and just started dosing 2-part).

I hate to lose these frags, but I'm not sure what else to do. I've tried moving them to all regions of the tank (with lengthy breaks to let them adjust).

The only thing I can think is that my peppermint shrimp (or maybe someone else) is picking at/eating them. The tips of the leather are injured and it's basically now melting away.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back