Am I using the correct salt for my goal parameters?

AlohaReef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 29, 2024
Messages
128
Reaction score
88
Location
Waterford
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers! I'm a newbie, but learning more every day. I'm just running a nano currently, and I was just curious if the salt I'm running is working against me trying to stabilize my parameters. Because I'm running a nano, larger % water changes happen, which is good for removing the excessive nitrates & phosphates, but if my salt doesn't quite mix to my goal parameters, I'm worried it's working against me. Right now, I'm currently using Reef Crystals & dosing AFR. So far my levels seem to be pretty good for the most part (for a newer tank with lots of new additions). Does anyone know what parameters each brand of salt mixes to? That would be a helpful chart to have!

Here are my goal parameters:

SG:1.026
Temp: 78F
pH: 7.8-8.4 but shooting for 8.2-8.3 , usually end up around 7.8 -7.9 (testing in PM)
Nitrates: >20 shooting for 5
Phosphate: .03-.1 shooting for .04
Alk: 8-10, shooting for 9
Calcium: 380-500, shooting for 450
Magnesium: 1320-1440, shooting for 1350

My system is still newish- right now I'm doing 2 water changes a week to combat high nitrates & phosphates. I'm using Hanna Checkers for all parameters, & refractometer for SG.

Interested to hear what you think!
 
That salt mix has more alk than your target, and plenty of calcium, so it is not fighting you if you are also dosing AFR.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new