East Coast Hummers are Coming!

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's funny about hummingbirds is. In Wisconsin there was a restaurant that had hundreds, if not thousands of hummingbird all sharing feeders during the summer. Yet my experience is you can't get more than 2 at 1 feeder without a chase. Restaurant was a ways up a river from lake wisota

We had approx 50 at our house in AZ and there would be one at each perch plus others trying to hover in. There were plenty of quarrels but they coexisted well enough. It was dangerous to go out on the front patio when one of the feeders was empty; those little suckers would get right in your eyeball and start scolding you. We were refilling three feeders daily.

I think we only had three at the house here in VA last year but we'll see how it goes this year.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I've seen pictures of multiple hummers at a feeder, but never saw it in real life.

Many Hummingbirds at Feeder.jpg

I have only had one hummer at my feeders at any one time. If a second showed up, it was dive-bomb and chase. I'd like to know how they get multiple birds at a time!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We only get one at a time too, unless its a male and female. They will coexist on the feeder together.

A few years back my next door neighbor used to sell hanging flower baskets all summer long. We would get multiples at the feeder back then, and they all got along. Since they stopped selling flowers, they will not coexist at the feeder.

No idea what the flowers had to do with it, but it certainly curbed the solitary attitude at the feeder.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here on eastern Long Island I put bucket feeders out for emu's. So far I haven't seen any. :oops:

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had our first sighting of an Anna's this last weekend. Had the feeders out all week. Now if I could keep the Hawks from trying to murder the quail in my front yard.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Migration maps show otherwise, but still haven't seen a single little hummer:

Humming Birds 043020.png

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw my first this season two days ago. And we have a snow prediction for tonight as well.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 118 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back