Excited to Be Here!

IMG_0708.jpeg
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Welcome.gif
 
Hi and welcome to Reef2Reef!
 
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and new to the hobby, but I've been thinking about it for a while. I grew on the east coast of south Florida with lots of fishing, snorkeling, and diving. Now I live in Brooklyn, NY and I miss being able to see the coral reefs all the time. So instead of traveling to Florida every week, I'm bringing a little piece of the Caribbean to me!

Last week I purchased a used Red Sea Max E170 AIO tank with all of the base equipment (plus an AI Prime light and an IM Hyrdrofill ATO) off Facebook marketplace. It's definitely needed some cleaning. And I've heard about Red Sea troubles, so I bought some extra silicon sealant from my LFS to make double sure all of the joints are sealed. But it's been a ton of fun researching everything and getting it ready to start my cycle on Monday.


I have some TBS live sand and rock coming in plus some dried / formerly live rock that came with the tank. My goal is to only stock the tank with creatures native to the Caribbean and things that I used to see while diving in Florida. Taking care of corals seems intimidating for now, so I'm going to stick with a FOWLR setup and then once things stabilize and I get in a routine (maybe 6 months), I'll slowly start adding in corals.

I'm excited to be part of the community here and can't wait to learn more! If you have any tips for me on getting started or examples of other Caribbean-themed tanks, I'd love to hear it!
welcome here
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new