Easy anemone

mikesilverado8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is the easiest an anemone to take care of? I just got an anemone a couple days ago from the aquarium store and the dude ripped him off a rock I had no idea that was a bad thing I thought he knew what he was doing. About three days later then anemone died. So now my question is what is the easiest an anemone to take care of and host a clown fish

abecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had really good luck with my rose bubble tip. It moved about 3 inches since I put it in the tank and has been happy in the same spot. I even had a bad ammonia spike and it lost color on half of the anemone and I thought it was a goner but it has perked back up and still going strong.

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably a mini maxi carpet powerheads can chew them up and spit them out and you'll just have multiple nems :)

bumperbeetle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mini's are great, I have 5 of them but I do not believe clowns will host them. I have a anemone crab that sits in the middle of my rainbow carpet anemone but thats about it. I like the torch anemones, they wont move on you and the sunburst anemones are absolutely gorgeous. You may have the best luck with a bta however if your desire is for it to be hosted by a clown.

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardiest hosting anemone is the Bubble Tip. Doesn't matter which color. They'll even live under T12 lights if you feed them often enough. I'm not saying it's a good idea to try it, but in a pinch they will do ok. I used Bubble Tips to teach batches of baby Clownfish to go in the anemones and they were subjected to 100 ppm nitrate and only ambient room lighting for weeks at a time. They handled this fine too. Essentially, as long as a BTA is in good condition to begin with, it can handle a lot of abuse. The Bubble Tip that I still currently have I've had since 2007. It survived a 1200 km (745 mi) tank move, it hung out in my SPS tank for a number of years, it survived many batches of baby Clownfish, and now it's in my new SPS tank. It's not the prettiest RBTA (it's just pink, no fancy rainbow), but it's always bubbly and it's tough as nails.

They have their drawbacks too. Some of them walk around and don't seem to settle. I find if I feed them every once in awhile they are less likely to wander. Some of them split like rabbits and all the little rabbits walk around. Some of them never split and get huge. Then there's the other end of the problem - the Clownfish don't go in them! That's the Clownfish's problem though. :rolleyes: Keep in mind, not all anemone species with host all Clownfish species. BTA's are one of the most universally hosted hosted though, so they make a great choice. IME, True Percula, Onyx Percula, and Darwin Ocellaris are better at being hosted than Orange Ocellaris.

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mini's are great, I have 5 of them but I do not believe clowns will host them. I have a anemone crab that sits in the middle of my rainbow carpet anemone but thats about it. I like the torch anemones, they wont move on you and the sunburst anemones are absolutely gorgeous. You may have the best luck with a bta however if your desire is for it to be hosted by a clown.

Forgot he mentioned hosting you are correct they usually don't host clowns however I have seen a few that hosted clowns.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.6%
Back