OP
OP
RWhitt907

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The natural host anemones for A. ocellaris clown fish are S. gigantea or H. magnifica. However, these two anemones are on the difficult side in term of the ease to keep them alive.
Any tips on keeping them alive?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've got a pair of Oscellaris Clowns, I was wondering whats the best host anemone for these guys.
Long tentacle and BTA (bubble tips) when placed in a well established tank at least 4-5 months in age

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips on keeping them alive?
Stable, good water condition with high flow and high light are needed for both of these anemones. They also shipped very poorly, and almost always require treatment with antibiotic as new arrival (to the US). Other country with shorter shipping logistic, they may not require treatment.
Video of my Gigantea

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stable, good water condition with high flow and high light are needed for both of these anemones. They also shipped very poorly, and almost always require treatment with antibiotic as new arrival (to the US). Other country with shorter shipping logistic, they may not require treatment.
Video of my Gigantea

Such a cool Nem. I'm jealous. Don't have the space for one they can get huge. That one doesn't look small as it is.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No great answer to this question unfortunately.

As Minh notes, gigs and mags are the natural hosts for ocellaris clowns - pairing is essentially 100%. BUT, they’re really hard to acclimate. You have to be prepared with the facility to treat them. Even then success is hardly guaranteed. The best option is to try to find one already established in your area. They don’t pop up very often, but I’ve found a few over the years. If you are able to get through acclimation, they’re pretty hardy; but they get huge.

I am personally not a fan of the more common, and more easily kept, bubbles/long tentacles. Just big majano IMO. Plus, pairing is 50:50 at best as these are not natural hosts.

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heteractis Magnifica is my favorite anemone for them, they usually require an antibiotic quarantine when first introduced to aquariums but they are quite hardy afterwords IME, I owned 2 of them for a couple years. they come in some awesome colors too.

OP
OP
RWhitt907

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heteractis Magnifica is my favorite anemone for them, they usually require an antibiotic quarantine when first introduced to aquariums but they are quite hardy afterwords IME, I owned 2 of them for a couple years. they come in some awesome colors too.
How does the antibiotics QT work and how big do they get?

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the antibiotics QT work and how big do they get?
it's a ciprofloxacin treatment, all you need is a heater, light, basket for the anemone, and a powerhead, when I did the treatment I skipped a couple steps due to just not having the time and the anemone still pulled through and did great for a long time. the guy I eventually sold it to is part of Captiv8 aquaculture and he still has it.

Minh has a whole thread about the protocol here

they can get almost 3 feet in the wild but the ones I had were just over a foot.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA
IMG_20240410_215737.jpg
IMG_20240410_215750.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back