OP
M3d1C

M3d1C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a full-time EMT so I am in the same predicament as the OP here with little time for tank maintenance. My wife is working from home but I do not want to put the burden of my little budget 5gal pico on her. Do you have any experience with this gravity fed item? I was looking at the same product the other week but wasn't sure if it would be a good fit for me as my tank is on my desk and any overflowing would ruin our computers.
Thank you for your service as well!

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added an ATO for the grand total of $6 for this float valve and some leftover tubing from my RODI. This was the prototype just to see if it would work. I later replaced the cup with a very high-tech Rubbermaid container. It worked fine as long as you didn't let it run dry and lose the siphon.

IMG_20190823_185812124.jpg

I have since added a real ATO with a 6 gal reservoir and a pump and controller. But for a small tank, this would work fine. With a gallon container you shouldn't need to fill it but every couple of days. The only problem would be if you don't have a sump, the float valve will have to go in the display tank and the reservoir must be mounted higher somewhere, since this is gravity fed.

OP
OP
M3d1C

M3d1C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These were great guys! I managed to make a cheap ATO out of a float switch I pulled out of an old A/C condensate pump, a fountain pump from an old desktop fountain that was in our 'to get rid of pile,' some ice maker line and a milk jug. On top of that, my wife is getting a lot more comfortable doing tank maintenance/testing and really enjoying it! I appreciate all of the ideas and inspiration. I may go with something like the Tunze Osmolator when we upgrade our tank but I've got something that works for now! I felt really stupid after Bulk Reef Supply emailed me back what they did but now I feel like a mad scientist! Lol! Guess I'll take my business elsewhere and my future questions in the hobby will go right here!!! Thanks again!

OP
OP
M3d1C

M3d1C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@M3d1C Ryan or Randy @Bulk Reef Supply will make it right if they get word of the situation. They have done a lot for this community and that involves great customer satisfaction
They're the ones that do the videos on YouTube right? I don't know it's probably silly but it just made me feel really stupid and I'm having a hard time getting over that. Especially from the place who's videos and information gave me the confidence to get into the hobby only to be shut down so coldly. When I have new EMTs orienting, I teach them a quote from Maya Angelou. "People will forget what you say, people will forget what you do, but people will never forget how you made them feel." Thankfully, everyone here really came through and I was able to "engineer" an auto top off for now to get by.

o-townFLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are the dudes. Ryan (hippie looking dude :p) is part owner of BRS. I haven’t personally had an issue with BRS but have read of some others misfortune because of a bad customer service rep and BRS made it right...

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These were great guys! I managed to make a cheap ATO out of a float switch I pulled out of an old A/C condensate pump, a fountain pump from an old desktop fountain that was in our 'to get rid of pile,' some ice maker line and a milk jug. On top of that, my wife is getting a lot more comfortable doing tank maintenance/testing and really enjoying it! I appreciate all of the ideas and inspiration. I may go with something like the Tunze Osmolator when we upgrade our tank but I've got something that works for now! I felt really stupid after Bulk Reef Supply emailed me back what they did but now I feel like a mad scientist! Lol! Guess I'll take my business elsewhere and my future questions in the hobby will go right here!!! Thanks again!

Thanks @o-townFLA for tagging us in this thread. @M3d1C I'm really sorry to hear about your experience with our customer service team. That would leave a bad taste in my mouth if I were in your shoes too. I'd like to gather some more info on this email conversation, so when you have a free moment, I'll send you a PM requesting a couple of pieces of information so that I can send this to our customer service team manager.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%

Back