IMG_4657_zpsgzawgjgt.jpg
IMG_4659_zpsmdc9nx74.jpg
IMG_4666_zpswtetf4y7.jpg

Grimreaperz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I get a rundown on build? Looking to add both of these to my setup and definitely like this setup. How does it do both carbon and GFO sorry if I'm a noob.

OP
OP
Mass Reef

Mass Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon *OR* GFO I guess it should read. I have two identical reactors and one does Carbon the other GFO.

- Pasta container 11" tall x 4" wide $5 (Marshals or TJMAX is where I found them)
-I used Elbow Barbed fittings that are 3/4" thread x 1/2" barbed...you could use 1/2"x1/2" but I had these laying around.
-very short lengths of silicone tubing to make a tight fit through the bottle opening and through the holes I drilled in top of pasta container.
I used no glue
-the bottle inside that holds the media is a heavy acrylic water bottle from walmart -$5
-Drill a number of small holes in the bottom of the bottle
-Use Foam on top and bottom of bottle to keep media snug ..(if GFO, then just cut two small circles of knitting mesh for top and bottom- find in walmart sewing section for peanuts)
Water goes in top (outside bottle) down to bottom of pasta container, through the holes drilled in the bottle, and up to top, and out through center fitting.
I used Scotch All-Weather Fasteners (find on amazon) to secure the reactor to tank walls..... this is the same stuff used to hold your Toll Transponder to your windshield if you have one. Super strong stuff but easy to remove and reattach.

Grimreaperz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon *OR* GFO I guess it should read. I have two identical reactors and one does Carbon the other GFO.

- Pasta container 11" tall x 4" wide $5 (Marshals or TJMAX is where I found them)
-I used Elbow Barbed fittings that are 3/4" thread x 1/2" barbed...you could use 1/2"x1/2" but I had these laying around.
-very short lengths of silicone tubing to make a tight fit through the bottle opening and through the holes I drilled in top of pasta container.
I used no glue
-the bottle inside that holds the media is a heavy acrylic water bottle from walmart -$5
-Drill a number of small holes in the bottom of the bottle
-Use Foam on top and bottom of bottle to keep media snug ..(if GFO, then just cut two small circles of knitting mesh for top and bottom- find in walmart sewing section for peanuts)
Water goes in top (outside bottle) down to bottom of pasta container, through the holes drilled in the bottle, and up to top, and out through center fitting.
I used Scotch All-Weather Fasteners (find on amazon) to secure the reactor to tank walls..... this is the same stuff used to hold your Toll Transponder to your windshield if you have one. Super strong stuff but easy to remove and reattach.
Thank you so much for the run down ! Still going to try it!

OP
OP
Mass Reef

Mass Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ correction on the container - this specific container was really cheap for me because I found it discounted- but I went on Amazon and they are $20 -$30 ...crazy. You can find something else cheaper. They work beautifully though.

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice design. I just used a nylon sock, and it seems to give the same results as when I used to tumble it, and I buy 55 lb bags at a time from a water purification plant.

OP
OP
Mass Reef

Mass Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand your comment. No reactor costs $15 - $20.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just bumping this up cuz it's cool :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back