Easy Phosphate management Equipment

  • Thread starter Thread starter Treefer32
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 1, 2013
Messages
1,544
Reaction score
1,031
Location
Fargo, ND
What state or country do you live in
North Dakota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a great Turbo Aquatics Algae Scrubber. I get large softball sized balls of hair algae every 5-7 days. Water overflows the scrubber within 10-15 days due to too much algae growth.


I'm looking to travel more in the next year starting with a 15 day tour of Europe next year. Possibly a month or more at a time in the winters after that. I need a much simpler to manage phosphate solution for a large tank. (340 gallon display 75 gallon sump) .

Plus the algae turf scrubber doesn't keep up with phosphates. With routine logged testing with Hanna ULR tester, I'm raising an average of .001 ppm per day. Possibly more. I supplement that with 5-10 ml per day of Lanthinum chloride into my Reefmat 1200.

I have a denitrator, a converted Nu-Clear cannister filter to a pile of matrix rock. My nitrates are constant at 10-20 ppm. Hanna HR tester.

Is there an easier to maintain (than a traditional ATS) for guests to come in and within 2 minutes pull some algae and walk away. I'm also personally getting tired of cleaning the screen too. It's taking 10-15 minutes everytime to clean it.

I've looked at the Surf 4s, which seem enticing, but for my level of phosphate management I'd need like 8 of them. Which, then becomes a chore to keep clean as well, not to mention room in the sump for that many, then cost on top of that.

Looking at creative ideas for phosphate management that I could trust a non-reefer to manage. My corals are all looking amazing and fish doing amazingly well, and don't want to be gone for three weeks and see everything going downhill. Or spend 6 months recovering things.
 
I usually don’t recommend lanthanum chloride because of its associated potential dangers to fish, but since you are already down that path, have you considered setting up an automated dosing pump? You could use it as your primary rather than a supplement with smaller doses spread out over the week.

Other than that, GFO on a timer is my method. For maintenance of my 0.1 ppm target, I have it on a timer to just run the reactor pump for 3 hours/day. Running it this way the media lasts 6-8 weeks, so should be maintenance free for the trip durations you described.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new