EasySPS food

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought easy reef sps evo also have three different forms of phytoplankton. Is it still necessary to use easy boost or just easy sps evo?

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessary, but the foods are complementary. EasyBooster uses a few strains of phytoplankton, while EasySPS EVO is a combination of phyto and zooplanktons. The strains of phyto in EVO are different from the ones in Booster.

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessary, but the foods are complementary. EasyBooster uses a few strains of phytoplankton, while EasySPS EVO is a combination of phyto and zooplanktons

Have anyone tried easy sps evo by itself and found good results?

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anybody detail the difference between using SPS EVO and phytoplankton you would buy at your LFS where you fill up whatever volume they have growing in culture?

I'm currently dosing only acropower and phosphate to my system. Looking for further recommendations on ways to improve.

Right now I have a need for dosing: 1. PO4, 2. Acropower, 3. TM AFR, 4. NOPOX. Also interested in knowing what the best 4 head dosing pump is. Looking at GHL. Wanting something that I can control from my phone as a standalone unit.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anybody detail the difference between using SPS EVO and phytoplankton you would buy at your LFS where you fill up whatever volume they have growing in culture?

I'm currently dosing only acropower and phosphate to my system. Looking for further recommendations on ways to improve.

Right now I have a need for dosing: 1. PO4, 2. Acropower, 3. TM AFR, 4. NOPOX. Also interested in knowing what the best 4 head dosing pump is. Looking at GHL. Wanting something that I can control from my phone as a standalone unit.
Nopox??? Noooooooooo

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nopox??? Noooooooooo
I used nopox for over a year with good results. I'd go back to it if I felt I needed to get my nitrates down but for the time being Im seeing how my corals like the nitrates elevated. (still using rowaphos) Stripping your water is bad, using products to keep them at certain levels are not.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nopox??? Noooooooooo
LOL. I reduced them from the mid 20s to potentially higher to now what looks like they're around 12ppm (NO3). I know we've talked a bit and I've slowly been reducing my nopox. I was only going 3mL daily which is a pretty insignificant dose for my tank. Now I'm at 2mL daily and I'll probably do that for a while before going to 1, then off.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used nopox for over a year with good results. I'd go back to it if I felt I needed to get my nitrates down but for the time being Im seeing how my corals like the nitrates elevated. (still using rowaphos) Stripping your water is bad, using products to keep them at certain levels are not.
It definitely lowers no3. It also lowered my Tenuis count bc every single one of them started to stn. Any carbon dosing caused Tenuis stn in my tanks. Nopox, zeo start, bio pellets etc. No thanks

ap7x

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely lowers no3. It also lowered my Tenuis count bc every single one of them started to stn. Any carbon dosing caused Tenuis stn in my tanks. Nopox, zeo start, bio pellets etc. No thanks

What’s the reason they stn though? Assuming NoPox (and carbon dosing in general) isn’t some poison to tenius, there has to be an underlying cause right?

Did you keep your no3/po4 readings and saw a rapid drop and/or zero-ed out? Or do you attribute it to some other reason caused by carbon dosing?

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the reason they stn though? Assuming NoPox (and carbon dosing in general) isn’t some poison to tenius, there has to be an underlying cause right?

Did you keep your no3/po4 readings and saw a rapid drop and/or zero-ed out? Or do you attribute it to some other reason caused by carbon dosing?
Don’t know. All I know is it all stopped as soon as stopped chasing low no3/po4. That’s all that matters

And no3/po4 never bottomed out. Never got below 5/0.05

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like bottoming out nutrients or reducing them too fast was the problem and not the product. That or carbon dosing in general just doesnt play nice with your system. Who knows, there are way too many individual factors with our systems. Im just here to make things more confusing for people. :D

To carbon dose or not to carbon dose?

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like bottoming out nutrients or reducing them too fast was the problem and not the product. That or carbon dosing in general just doesnt play nice with your system. Who knows, there are way too many individual factors with our systems. Im just here to make things more confusing for people. :D

To carbon dose or not to carbon dose?
To confuse matters even more.....I’ll bring no3 down from 25 to 10 in single water change on all my tanks with no issue at all. There’s a well known hobbyists in another thread that uses sea chem matrix in their sump to help with reducing no3. So I tried it per instructions on a sps/zoa/acan scrap tank I have. No3/po4 went from 50/0.50(all corals were fine btw) to 25/0.30 over 2 months, but all the sps corals started getting burnt tips. Ripped out the matrix and now they are on the road to recover. Back to the old KISS method.

You can see how the tissue is coming back
06F8A8C5-EA10-4702-B3A5-326AB6154912.jpeg
F465A124-F2A6-4582-AE95-D917B81F98F4.jpeg
5E11C782-5466-4558-AD61-4579C32BFDCC.jpeg

Dark corals are better than dead corals

Write that down

Last edited:

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see any logical reason you should have had issues in that scenario so who knows what was at play there. My favorite tank was my 120 from around 2007. I used real live rock, a skimmer, lots of flow, metal halides, heavy feeding, weekly water changes and vodka dosing. It was very simple and straight forward but I havent had corals that looked that happy since. I have some that look that happy but never a complete system.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see any logical reason you should have had issues in that scenario so who knows what was at play there. My favorite tank was my 120 from around 2007. I used real live rock, a skimmer, lots of flow, metal halides, heavy feeding, weekly water changes and vodka dosing. It was very simple and straight forward but I havent had corals that looked that happy since. I have some that look that happy but never a complete system.
I don’t know either but they stopped dying and looked happier within 24 hours of removing the matrix.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To confuse matters even more.....I’ll bring no3 down from 25 to 10 in single water change on all my tanks with no issue at all. There’s a well known hobbyists in another thread that uses sea chem matrix in their sump to help with reducing no3. So I tried it per instructions on a sps/zoa/acan scrap tank I have. No3/po4 went from 50/0.50(all corals were fine btw) to 25/0.30 over 2 months, but all the sps corals started getting burnt tips. Ripped out the matrix and now they are on the road to recover. Back to the old KISS method.

You can see how the tissue is coming back
06F8A8C5-EA10-4702-B3A5-326AB6154912.jpeg
F465A124-F2A6-4582-AE95-D917B81F98F4.jpeg
5E11C782-5466-4558-AD61-4579C32BFDCC.jpeg

Dark corals are better than dead corals

Write that down
:oops: My bubblegum digi looks just like that orange one you have pictured. I added half liter of matrix to my sump maybe a month or so ago.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessary, but the foods are complementary. EasyBooster uses a few strains of phytoplankton, while EasySPS EVO is a combination of phyto and zooplanktons. The strains of phyto in EVO are different from the ones in Booster.
They are the same strains. The amount of phyto is different though, and their purpose is different as well. EasyBooster is designed to feed zooplankton and microfauna in the tank, while the phyto in EasySPS is integrated into the zooplankton for its antioxidant and misc properties.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back