Eating my coral? Worms?

c_spence024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of my blastos are gone now too. Help!

PXL_20220907_201102593.jpg PXL_20220907_201124905.jpg PXL_20220907_201054095.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Pics are fuzzy, I see anthellia Xenia but can’t clearly see other objects

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok, clearer. Looks like bubbles form. I assume Not moving ?
Take a turkey baster and give gentle blasts and see if they dislodge.

OP
OP
c_spence024

c_spence024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a turkey baster and give gentle blasts and see if they dislodge.
They don't move, I have used my hand and "gently blasted" and they come off the Xenia, but then come right back on the glass the corals the next few days.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They don't move, I have used my hand and "gently blasted" and they come off the Xenia, but then come right back on the glass the corals the next few days.
As suspected, may be early stage Dino
Reduce or turn off white lights and add 1.5ml B of liquid bacteria such as micro bacter 7 per 10 gallons during the day , do not add coral foods or NoPox to tank for a week and clean filters and empty skimmer cup daily

OP
OP
c_spence024

c_spence024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a turkey baster and give gentle blasts and see if they dislodge

As suspected, may be early stage Dino
Reduce or turn off white lights and add 1.5ml B of liquid bacteria such as micro bacter 7 per 10 gallons during the day , do not add coral foods or NoPox to tank for a week and clean filters and empty skimmer cup daily
Thanks for the advice, the tank has been established for 3 solid years and never had any major issues like this? What could cause it more than likely? I never in 1-1/2 of those years changed a filter near the water pump. Until recently.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks for the advice, the tank has been established for 3 solid years and never had any major issues like this? What could cause it more than likely? I never in 1-1/2 of those years changed a filter near the water pump. Until recently.
The problem arises when conditions in the aquarium break the biological balance and some dinoflagellate species spread uncontrollably, smothering the rest of the aquarium inhabitants.
The problem often arises when we try to bring cleanliness it to the limit, in order to improve its appearance and color of corals. They tend to occur suddenly when the aquarium water reaches an extraordinary cleanliness, in which most microorganisms perishes for lack of food. With no other organisms that can stop them, this type of dinoflagellate can multiply so fast that when we realize it's late and we will find an aquarium full of brown and ochre slime suffocating fish and invertebrates. These dinoflagellates possess chloroplasts enable them to synthesize their own food even under a minimal amount of light. Some species can form cysts called pellicles which allow them to remain in the aquarium for months wvwn after we have completely sterilized or kept them in complete darkness. Once the light or the right conditions come back, they will reappear and thus these problems.
With the presence of light they secrete mucus which adhere to any surface, including algae, coral and fish. They spend hours synthesising food and extending vertically in search of the light source (if we turn off the pumps in the aquarium we can see brown filaments grow towards the surface). When the light source disappears and can no longer synthesize food, it begins to diminish to none.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back