Eating Reef Salt

Max Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of taking down a tank because I'm moving. I have about 2 bags of salt left over unopened that I plan to try and sell however 1 bag is open and mostly empty. Can I use this salt to cook with? Is it better to use it for cures or can i use it as a table salt?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of taking down a tank because I'm moving. I have about 2 bags of salt left over unopened that I plan to try and sell however 1 bag is open and mostly empty. Can I use this salt to cook with? Is it better to use it for cures or can i use it as a table salt?
I'd consider calling the manufacturer

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parks And Recreation Nbc GIF by HULU

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the brand. I like the cheap stuff like IO, personally, since it's just dried ocean salt on the dirt. Watch out for the Turkish blend tho... lol Heard that stuff kills tanks, so...

pacificpelican

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never use something for a use that's not intended by the manufacturer. This is how people / fish get hurt. Oh salt from the LFS cost too much so I'll just buy a 10 pound bag of salt from the market down the street. Same thing right????

Edub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef salt is very tasty10/10

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was really really young we went to this beach that had little tiny long fish. We caught a few with a net.

I brought them home in a bag of ocean water and realized they were saltwater fish and wouldn’t survive in freshwater . You know what I did?

I took a styrofoam cup, added tap water, and mixed in regular table salt (I guessed a random amount). I added the fish to it. They didn’t live for long.

I was like 8-10 years old. That was the start of my saltwater “career”. How far I’ve come…

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was really really young we went to this beach that had little tiny long fish. We caught a few with a net.

I brought them home in a bag of ocean water and realized they were saltwater fish and wouldn’t survive in freshwater . You know what I did?

I took a styrofoam cup, added tap water, and mixed in regular table salt (I guessed a random amount). I added the fish to it. They didn’t live for long.

I was like 8-10 years old. That was the start of my saltwater “career”. How far I’ve come…
U make me cry, brother.

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As a kid i always wondered if table salt worked.. I was so wrong.

OP
OP
Max Hill

Max Hill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

haha thats funny. Did you try again?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha thats funny. Did you try again?
With the ocean fish? No.

But now I have saltwater fish so I guess you can say that I’ve tried again! I use instant ocean instead of Morton Iodized lol.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never use something for a use that's not intended by the manufacturer. This is how people / fish get hurt. Oh salt from the LFS cost too much so I'll just buy a 10 pound bag of salt from the market down the street. Same thing right????
Wait, so don't use remdesivr?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I knew someone who did this at an lfs I worked at (they were a customer). They brought the fish in a big and their shrimp too and asked what killed them

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of months ago, I did make pasta with freshly made saltwater, because I kept hearing advice that the water should "be as salty as the sea". Lies! Seawater does not (and did not) make a dish suitable for company. I am a living cautionary tale! I saved the day by serving lots and lots (and lots) of wine at supper.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of months ago, I did make pasta with freshly made saltwater, because I kept hearing advice that the water should "be as salty as the sea". Lies! Seawater does not (and did not) make a dish suitable for company. I am a living cautionary tale! I saved the day by serving lots and lots (and lots) of wine at supper.
I only use himalayane salt.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back