EB832 Attempting to Communicate with Apex (Bootloader Mode)

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@_AV have you come across any APEX EL or 2016 apex brains having CAN transceiver issues?

a local reefer has an EB832 that won’t connect to his EL. So he brought it over and I connected to my EL and it works with out issue. Any idea where to take a look?

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@_AV have you come across any APEX EL or 2016 apex brains having CAN transceiver issues?

a local reefer has an EB832 that won’t connect to his EL. So he brought it over and I connected to my EL and it works with out issue. Any idea where to take a look?
I've heard that a series of the latest firmware updates may have been causing module connectivity issues. So I'd rule the firmware issue out first.
Otherwise, the head unit uses the same type of transceiver which fails just as often. Worth investigating.
I don't have a repair video specific to the head unit yet, but the diagnostics are nearly identical to this:

Last edited:

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@_AV will this chip from a old PM 1 work as replacement for a newer EL?

Attachments

• 9BE4BDCB-1361-4C7E-876F-7883823F87D2.jpeg
    9BE4BDCB-1361-4C7E-876F-7883823F87D2.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@_AV will this chip from a old PM 1 work as replacement for a newer EL?
Unfortunately, no. MAX3059 was used in all Apex classic modules including the head unit. It is a 5V circuit. Starting with Apex 2016, including EL, all new modules are running 3.3V CAN transceivers. Different voltage and pin configuration.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, no. MAX3059 was used in all Apex classic modules including the head unit. It is a 5V circuit. Starting with Apex 2016, including EL, all new modules are running 3.3V CAN transceivers. Different voltage and pin configuration.
Thank you. The new ones seem to be sold out every where.

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. The new ones seem to be sold out every where.
yep... I'm slowly running out of stock for repairs as well. They are being used heavily in the automotive industry. Massive shortages currently.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep... I'm slowly running out of stock for repairs as well. They are being used heavily in the automotive industry. Massive shortages currently.
Do you happen to have a small list of acceptable replacements. I found these 3.0 to 3.6 v ones that have lots in stock. Spec wise they look similar to the ones another reefer posted.

Attachments

• 548C1A8E-2507-40CE-BE22-D0ECC9C596E6.png
    548C1A8E-2507-40CE-BE22-D0ECC9C596E6.png
    236.7 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to have a small list of acceptable replacements. I found these 3.0 to 3.6 v ones that have lots in stock. Spec wise they look similar to the ones another reefer posted.
I have not looked at the alternatives yet... If someone could run through the datasheets and compare, it'd be useful.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the insight. So true on the spares, I think I’m going to grab a couple of the can transceivers, I found these ones that look like a match SN65HVD232QDRQ1. Mine looks to be 5V. I think I will grab a bunch of CAPs too and replace them while I'm at it.

How did you pick that part #? I'm looking for something in stock, do you think SN65HVD232D would work?

chris30559

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had this issue with my apex classic version, the Eb8 transceiver was clearly bad as half the part was blown out and missing, so I replaced it and its still not working, (Flashing amber light and not detectable by head unit) my repair job looks pretty good to me, I inspected it several times as well as other parts in the area and it seems ok. is it possible the transceiver on my head unit is also bad, I examined it physically and it seems fine, I have no other way to test it unfortunately. is it worth ordering another transceiver and attempting a replacement on the head unit, looks a bit tighter of an area.... or is it possible It has other issues also.

the head unit seems to function perfectly fine on its own green light, network communication all works. it just won't control the only other item I have which is the EB8...

on a more unusual note, if I have no intention of using the EB8 and head unit with any other Neptune product in the future, is it possible to completely bypass the transceiver? wire the head unit directly to the EB8 with some cat5 or something? as in wire TXD and RXD from the head unit to the corresponding RXD and TXD on the EB8?

Last edited:
OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's certainly possible that the head unit is bad. or the main controller on your EB8.
And yes, you could technically avoid the transceiver entirely. but then you will be dealing with errors and losses in data transmission on your own.

chris30559

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's certainly possible that the head unit is bad. or the main controller on your EB8.
And yes, you could technically avoid the transceiver entirely. but then you will be dealing with errors and losses in data transmission on your own.
thanks for the response AV, since the transceiver was literally blown to pieces on the EB8 I'm worried that maybe the controller on the EB8 might be toast as well. if that's the case then its probably a loss. I was just hopeful since relays do click when powered on and the amber light does flash.

that's good to know I can bypass the transceiver on both ends, I may just try this as a way to verify that both the head unit and EB8 can in fact still communicate, if it works I can order another transceiver and do a proper repair in the head unit. I don't know why I just didn't get 2 of the IC's from the start... dumb mistake. .

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still working on EB832 units? I have one that in the same condition as this post that I would like serviced if possible. PM me please either way. Thanks
More than ever. Will PM

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back