ebay grow lights - any experience with these?

shamrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello

been eyeing up the kessil grow lights and reading mixed reviews about their reliability etc. based on what i've read and their promotion on BRStv, it seems to be the one to go for. for a more basic and cost affordable setup, has anyone tried a less extravagant solution at fraction of the cost? i'm curious to know if they work for refugiums etc.

thanks
sk

OP
OP
S

shamrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after doing some more research, i realise the 3000w is actually somewhere around the 100-200w. none-the-less, i'm going to go ahead and purchase it and trial it on some house plants and post my results. but ideally, i guess it should be checked by someone with a par reader etc. they're not that expensive, so worth trying ;Pompus

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have experience with that specific light, but there is a ton of junk for sale on ebay (and amazon), and the wattage listed is usually incandescent equivalent as you note. I bought a couple of panels and ended up returning them because they were crap. I am currently using the growstar for my ATS and have been pretty happy with it.

Almost all these lights are made in China by an OEM and then given (often) silly brand names.

The only problem with the Kessil grow lights, in my case the 380, is the fan craps out.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one of this on my fuge growing chaeto and ulva well for me. From amazon. 50 watt consumption.

FECiDA Waterproof LED Grow Light, 300W HPS & CFL & CHM Grow Lights Equivalent, Professional Full Spectrum Plant Grow Light for Indoor Plants, Smart and Silent Born for Grow Tent and Indoor Garden

OP
OP
S

shamrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one of this on my fuge growing chaeto and ulva well for me. From amazon. 50 watt consumption.

FECiDA Waterproof LED Grow Light, 300W HPS & CFL & CHM Grow Lights Equivalent, Professional Full Spectrum Plant Grow Light for Indoor Plants, Smart and Silent Born for Grow Tent and Indoor Garden

looks really good! waterproof too. shame i can't get it in Australia... might check international shipping on that.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks really good! waterproof too. shame i can't get it in Australia... might check international shipping on that.

I see what looks like the same thing on ebay shipped from China so I'm assuming you could get those shipped even cheaper than I could to the US?

symon_say

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchase a viparspectra grow light for my fuge, is a similar light that the one used for reef, but with color for plants.

Haven't tested yet, but this should give me good grow.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello

been eyeing up the kessil grow lights and reading mixed reviews about their reliability etc. based on what i've read and their promotion on BRStv, it seems to be the one to go for. for a more basic and cost affordable setup, has anyone tried a less extravagant solution at fraction of the cost? i'm curious to know if they work for refugiums etc.

thanks
sk
what specifically are you intending to use a grow light for?

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have experience with that specific light, but there is a ton of junk for sale on ebay (and amazon), and the wattage listed is usually incandescent equivalent as you note. I bought a couple of panels and ended up returning them because they were crap. I am currently using the growstar for my ATS and have been pretty happy with it.

Almost all these lights are made in China by an OEM and then given (often) silly brand names.

The only problem with the Kessil grow lights, in my case the 380, is the fan craps out.

This was my go to on fuge lighting and I've had a ton of success with them. I've been doing a lot of research on lighting lately and I'm pretty sure that light is wasting a lot of energy.

A 1-3w ea 660nm deep red would probably do a better job for less or mix a little 450nm in at something like 6:1 ratio.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 45.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back