Ebay vs PayPal -Buyer Protection-

Mstansbery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everybody!

I thought this was worth posting about:

When it comes to purchasing coral through Ebay many of us choose to use PayPal to facilitate the transaction; Ebay and PayPal are after-all the same company. They both offer us security of transaction through "Buyer Protection" programs for items bought and sold through the Ebay medium. But what you might not know is one of them will not cover live salt water coral. Which one would you guess? Well if you guessed PayPal you were correct. In fact PayPal does not honor the shipment of live animals in any capacity.

The catch: If you open a claim first with PayPal's "Purchase Protection" program (and say the claim is not decided in your favor) this voids your chances of opening a subsequent claim under Ebay's "Buyer Protection" program.

So buyer beware when it comes to disputes. If you have any issue of course try to resolve it first with the seller, but if you must escalate any issue regarding live coral make sure you take it up with Ebay first!

eBay Buyer Protection

PayPal Safety & Security

Last edited:

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used PayPal as the Seller only once just recently. I had UPS professionally package a very, very large protein skimmer. It arrived to the seller late and destroyed. The purchaser disputed the claim with PayPal instead of UPS. As the seller it's been a time sucking disaster. He got his money back the same day. A month later and I'm still fighting UPS. I'll never sell again using UPS without extensive and detailed contracts as to what happens in such an instance.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back