Ecotech’s SECRET grease

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

Quick? Did they redesign the pump, I thought I heard that. Only wonder because mine is 7-8 years old mp 40. I have taken it apart to clean maybe 10 times. I also run it on high to the point the motor is hot. Never a problem.

Asking since I wanted to pick up another

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

Quick? Did they redesign the pump, I thought I heard that. Only wonder because mine is 7-8 years old mp 40. I have taken it apart to clean maybe 10 times. I also run it on high to the point the motor is hot. Never a problem.

Asking since I wanted to pick up another
There have been many changes to the 40 wetsides. Not so much on the dryside. Not to say that the MP40 has had its share of improvements to the dryside but I can't speak smartly on that, it seems that they occasionally make small improvements but don't advertise it.

The driver also has had plenty of upgrades from the old blue box, to the white box, to the white curved case to the black curved case. The wireless capabilities became more advanced as technology improved. The advent of the quiet drive took the existing dryside motor and made it quieter just by changing the signal that was delivered to it.

There is the mp10, mp40 and mp60.. not ti forget that there was an mp20 back in the day that they stopped making. (It would be interesting to see if someone still has that model)

Anyway, Do you know what version you have? MP40W, MP40wes, MP40es MP40QD? Does the driver have a W? Does it light up? That can help determine what dryside you may have.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 4 mp 10’s. I add grease to the ceramic every time I clean them. I noticed I would get some chattering when I didn’t.

The grease does stay on the wet side parts just fine.

In my mind; if it spins, it’s needs some type of lube.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 4 mp 10’s. I add grease to the ceramic every time I clean them. I noticed I would get some chattering when I didn’t.

The grease does stay on the wet side parts just fine.

In my mind; if it spins, it’s needs some type of lube.

Good rule of thumb to live by.

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this and I now have diatoms like crazy. Anyone else experience this when using these silicon grease?

The guys here turned me onto this, I purchased a tube for 20$ and it will last me ten years. BTW I use some yesterday on a union seal ;) https://www.dupont.com/content/dam/...iterature/Downloaded-TDS/0901b803809b781e.pdf
1568314294247.png

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that sentence needs an "*" at the end. Like, the best pump with no motor in the tank perhaps. They are certainly not the most cost effective wave makers, nor the most reliable. But gotta love the small form factor and external motor...

I really liked 40's on my 75, but could never get good flow in my 150 cube. I think they're very good, but not perfect.

How could that be? I have some of the older MP40s and have used vinegar on it hundreds of times and it never rusted, it is only the new quiet drive pumps rusting. Something changed in the manufacturing if it is vinegar. I use vinigar to clean all my pumps for over 30 years in the reef hobby and never has any of my other pumps rusted. Not only that there are those that also have the shaft rusting on the MP-40's since they switched from i think was ceramic.

The Grease looks like silicon grease..

Some chemistry types pointed out that vinegar's chemical makeup allows it to penetrate plastics and break them down faster than other acids that don't penetrate plastics. There was a bit of a magnet crisis a few years ago and I believe many manufacturers swapped to a different type of magnet that is less corrosion resistant.

There is the mp10, mp40 and mp60.. not ti forget that there was an mp20 back in the day that they stopped making. (It would be interesting to see if someone still has that model)

I saw a post about an MP20 a week or two ago either here or on FB. I think they were looking for parts. Having had an early 40WES, I think it was the rebuild kit they used to offer with new ceramic bearings.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a post about an MP20 a week or two ago either here or on FB. I think they were looking for parts. Having had an early 40WES, I think it was the rebuild kit they used to offer with new ceramic bearings.
I remember a thread on reefcentral that a guy was boasting about his old mp40w (blue box) was still running strong. The president of Ecotech offered to trade a brand new mp40qd for the 1st gen vortech.

I wonder if the right people saw the post about parts for the mp20, he would get a similar offer.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some chemistry types pointed out that vinegar's chemical makeup allows it to penetrate plastics and break them down faster than other acids that don't penetrate plastics. There was a bit of a magnet crisis a few years ago and I believe many manufacturers swapped to a different type of magnet that is less corrosion resistant.

It is still happening and I did see the thread but did not follow it all the way through.

My point is I have old mp40s that still work and were used in vinegar many times so something changed with the newer design if vinegar is truly the problem.. Was it ever determined for sure vinegar is the issue? I have had hundreds of pumps now and never had a issue with any other with magnets rusting. I would guess somewhere between 80 to 90 percent of the people in the hobby use vinegar to clean their pumps. If Vinegar is the problem then Ecotech needs to address the problem and change their pump. Maybe they now use cheaper plastic or cheaper magnet but something has changed..

I wont use a pump that will rust in my tank...

Last edited:

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see the thread but did not follow it all the way through.

Was it ever determined for sure vinegar is the issue?
No, it was anecdotal, the consensus from the thread is to substitute vinegar with citric acid. But that was based purely on caution. Since we don't know the plastic used to encase the magnets, the experts can only speculate.

It's farfetched to think that ecotech wouldn't devote lots of time and money to correct an issue.

There's not a doubt in my mind that they are constantly refining all their products.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's not a doubt in my mind that they are constantly refining all their products.

Agreed. Especially the wet sides, which have undergone many small changes. My recent rust experience (that led to this replacement) was my first, having run those particular MP60s for <1 year despite them being manufactured in 2015/16.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not understand why any manufacturer would't either tell you what to use or sell the product.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
In Ave's words: Moral of the story.... always keep the shaft properly lubricated.

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, since your all here ill ask it here, sorry to the OP. I'll try to make this quick, on the MP10's can the impeller be taken apart from the magnet. I aske bc's the part the "holds down" the magnet to the housing with 3 tiny little clips broke off and i want to replace the hold down. Again sorry OP

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, since your all here ill ask it here, sorry to the OP. I'll try to make this quick, on the MP10's can the impeller be taken apart from the magnet. I aske bc's the part the "holds down" the magnet to the housing with 3 tiny little clips broke off and i want to replace the hold down. Again sorry OP

Nope, its all one piece. If you snapped it, gotta replace that all. Use a small pry tool next time

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Join the club, after 2 or 3 cleanings I never get the cage off them again without breaking them

Back