Ecotech’s SECRET grease

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I asked the question again about the MP's lubricant. I had never searched the Forum before for this issue came up the first time I cleaned the MP40. I had researched the EcoTech MP's here long before I bought my first one and never had I come across the question.

I love the MP40 that I bought a few months ago & I'm hoping to get years of trouble-free service from it. Maybe just maybe by adding a small amount of the Molykote 111 to the base of the ceramic disc, it will do just that. It sure can't hurt.

The MP40 moves water like no other that I've had, and has been dead silent.

Thank you Tim for replying to the issue.

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 4 mp 10’s. I add grease to the ceramic every time I clean them. I noticed I would get some chattering when I didn’t.

The grease does stay on the wet side parts just fine.

In my mind; if it spins, it’s needs some type of lube.
I agree with that statement completely. Does the tank water act as a lubricant??? I notice when I first place the pumps in service (I rotate wet sides and clean roughly monthly) that there is some noise and vibration and then they seem to settle in. This is much more noticeable on the MP10s. What lubricant do you use, I may give it a shot.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with that statement completely. Does the tank water act as a lubricant??? I notice when I first place the pumps in service (I rotate wet sides and clean roughly monthly) that there is some noise and vibration and then they seem to settle in. This is much more noticeable on the MP10s. What lubricant do you use, I may give it a shot.

Ecotech replied a few posts ago- they use Molykote 111. Just need a tiny amount around the shaft as any excess squeezes out and provides no benefit.

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech replied a few posts ago- they use Molykote 111. Just need a tiny amount around the shaft as any excess squeezes out and provides no benefit.
I bought some food grade 100% silicone grease. I’m going to put as thin a layer as I can get on the shaft and on the base where the thrust bearing is.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will add 3-packs of lube to the parts store shortly.
This is the kind of transparency and customer assistance that keeps me buying replacement parts for my EchoTech gear.

I could definitely find it cheaper once’s it hits the shelves I’m sure. But for a single use application, that I don’t have to keep a tube of chemical laying around waiting to spill. Definitely worth the premium to me.

chiefifd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's been about 6 months since EchoTech gave out the "secret" break-in lube Molykote 111.
Has anyone noticed a change for the better or worse, less noise, or fewer failures than you had prior to using the lube? That is if your lubricating & clean the MP's on somewhat of a regular basis.
Or was EchoTech right in the beginning, it was only a break-in lube.
I've had my MP40 for about 9 months, with zero noise or issues. I cleaned the MP40 & lubed it today, that's what prompted my question. I'm trying to clean & lube the MP40 every 6 to 8 weeks.
Thoughts?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back