Ecotech Marine Mobius and Versa Pump vs. Neptune Apex and DOS

Brasileiro561

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Shinister just e-mail them with that video and explain it was leaking and now making this sound. As I said before mine was leaking but also making that sound. They end up sending me a new unit. Should be here tomorrow. Hopefully it won’t have any more issues

Shinister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Shinister just e-mail them with that video and explain it was leaking and now making this sound. As I said before mine was leaking but also making that sound. They end up sending me a new unit. Should be here tomorrow. Hopefully it won’t have any more issues

I added this issue and video to the original support ticket. How long did they take to ship out a new one from the time you submitted the ticket?

Brasileiro561

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added this issue and video to the original support ticket. How long did they take to ship out a new one from the time you submitted the ticket?
Well I submitted a ticket last Thursday (Jan23) at night. They replied Friday said they would ship me a new hose. Then Monday night I found this tread and learned that the noise was not supposed to be like that so I emailed them last Monday got the reply on Tuesday and they shipped Wednesday should be here tomorrow Saturday

Shinister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I submitted a ticket last Thursday (Jan23) at night. They replied Friday said they would ship me a new hose. Then Monday night I found this tread and learned that the noise was not supposed to be like that so I emailed them last Monday got the reply on Tuesday and they shipped Wednesday should be here tomorrow Saturday

Thank you.
I knew I should’ve waited a few months to purchase one...like a new model from a car manufacturer. I figured all the kinks have been worked out since it’s been in development for awhile.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.
I knew I should’ve waited a few months to purchase one...like a new model from a car manufacturer. I figured all the kinks have been worked out since it’s been in development for awhile.

That was my line of thinking as well. But something we forget is that a unit they’ve built and rebuilt and rebuilt for years on end in their own machines in their own shop will be different from those who are then outsourced to be built from more bulk machining and plastics companies. Don’t get me wrong it’s a well designed product from a rock solid company....it’s just that with ANY product, when you move to large scale production and distribution, new issues will pop up and need fixing that may
Not have been present in the in house made units.

Brasileiro561

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.
Yea I’m like you. But all I own is neptune and Ecotech it would be stupid of me to get another brand and another app. I needed a dosing pump With continuous options and not as loud as my DOS. I just hope my next one is all good. But at least they have great costumer service and there is a lot of ppl with good versas out there.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.
Just like any new product there's going to be hiccups, it's unfortunate that you are the one experiencing the problem.

It's funny how ETM has come to be the gold standard for quality, that their pumps have to be dead silent when all others are not. Even though they're reputation proceeds them, the price of the versa is extremely competitive. I think that's a feather in ETM's cap. However they're cursed with the same problems every manufacturer faces when rolling out new product, as much as these companies try to eliminate any possibility for concerns, it's going to happen, it's what they do to correct it that makes all the difference.

Funny, even though your pump isn't silent, it's still quieter than the DOS or GHL Maxi... hehe. And my opinion it's far superior.

Shinister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is indeed quieter than the DOS even with the noise. I have one and used it for dosing 2 part but its been off for awhile since I moved to a calcium reactor. When it was running, I could hear it from the floor above.

I understand that things can go wrong during mass production. I just thought quality control would've been much better since it is built right here in the States and from a well known quality manufacturer. I never experienced having a quick-connect fitting go bad or malfunction but I figured anything can malfuction, so I got on this thread and got some good pointers and did a quick fix that would work until the replacement arrived. And then the drive assembly starts making noise, even stalling a few times making a grinding noise. That's why its frustrating for me and it doesn't give me a lot of faith that this pump will work flawlessly in continuous mode for a very long time. I did had my doubts that a pump so small would be competitive in performance against the likes of Kamoer or Masterflex. Im talking in terms of continuous dosing used for calcium reactors. And, as mentioned, the price is very attractive which is why I decided to skip the waiting and give one a try.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That was my line of thinking as well. But something we forget is that a unit they’ve built and rebuilt and rebuilt for years on end in their own machines in their own shop will be different from those who are then outsourced to be built from more bulk machining and plastics companies. Don’t get me wrong it’s a well designed product from a rock solid company....it’s just that with ANY product, when you move to large scale production and distribution, new issues will pop up and need fixing that may
Not have been present in the in house made units.

Except they do build them all themselves in their own factory :x

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, precipitate the responses and folks opinions on this matter. Seems like the EM Reeflink will be as valuable as a paper weight. Probably will pickup the WXM for now and then monitor how Mobius will work in the coming months.

At this point, i wanted to install the tubing in my system raceway (since its behind my manifold plumbing) but the EM Versa and the DOS using different tubing sizes. Could always punt this decision to later on when the reviews come out.

No they don't. I use the same RO tubing for both:)) Just took it off my DOS and put it on the VERSA

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a no brainer. Unless you can put the DOS in a sound proof room for AWC greater then 2 gallons a day, then go with the VERSA. If you want continuous dosing, go with the VERSA. For just 2 part or other stuff and you already own an APEX then go DOS. Also, I hooked my VERSA for AWC into my apex so that I can shut it off automatically if the fluid sensor gets too high or low (as a backup).

Brasileiro561

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so got my replacement versa in and it keeps getting g stuck. Well to be fair. It was stuck when I started. Then it go unstuck by itself. I thought it was just bc of being the first time of use. Then 3 different times doing calibrations. 30ml at 10 seconds it got stuck.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so got my replacement versa in and it keeps getting g stuck. Well to be fair. It was stuck when I started. Then it go unstuck by itself. I thought it was just bc of being the first time of use. Then 3 different times doing calibrations. 30ml at 10 seconds it got stuck.

Slide plastic cover off. Put on plastic glove so you don't get lubricant on your hands. Rotate clockwise a few times, then counter clockwise a few times. Put cover back on. Go to dose (looks like rain drops), dose at 5ml over 20 seconds. Then go to 20 ml over 10 seconds. Then try calibration again, but at a slightly slower speed. This fixed the issue on mine.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is indeed quieter than the DOS even with the noise. I have one and used it for dosing 2 part but its been off for awhile since I moved to a calcium reactor. When it was running, I could hear it from the floor above.

I understand that things can go wrong during mass production. I just thought quality control would've been much better since it is built right here in the States and from a well known quality manufacturer. I never experienced having a quick-connect fitting go bad or malfunction but I figured anything can malfuction, so I got on this thread and got some good pointers and did a quick fix that would work until the replacement arrived. And then the drive assembly starts making noise, even stalling a few times making a grinding noise. That's why its frustrating for me and it doesn't give me a lot of faith that this pump will work flawlessly in continuous mode for a very long time. I did had my doubts that a pump so small would be competitive in performance against the likes of Kamoer or Masterflex. Im talking in terms of continuous dosing used for calcium reactors. And, as mentioned, the price is very attractive which is why I decided to skip the waiting and give one a try.

My versa is dead silent. See what I wrote below...

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bam123 thanks brother. I’ll try that. I don’t wanna be that guy that keeps complaining but dang. 2 bad pump in a roll

Out of my 4 pumps, two of them had the same problem!! customer support helped out. I don't know why they have the calibration set at such a high speed. You should set it at what you plan on running it at. For me it's no more then 20 ml/ min continuous. I use the rain drop button frequently when I want to check something as you can change the time and the rate without it potentially jaming for 30 seconds or more (I set it for 10). Anyways, lmk if it works.

Shinister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s what I meant by mine stalling. And this your replacement pump??

Brasileiro561

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bam123 @Shinister yes that’s my replacement and I did what bam123 said and it appears to be working ok for now. I had to leave the house and didn’t have time to mess with it. I’m running 1ml per min now and it’s working for now. Tomorrow I’ll put different times and dosage number and see what happens

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bam123 @Shinister yes that’s my replacement and I did what bam123 said and it appears to be working ok for now. I had to leave the house and didn’t have time to mess with it. I’m running 1ml per min now and it’s working for now. Tomorrow I’ll put different times and dosage number and see what happens

Cool. Remember to use the rain drop dosage thing when you want to test different speeds as you can adjust the rate and time. Mine have been working flawless since the fix at up to 40 ml/min which is about .63 gallons an hour.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 40.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back