EcoTech Marine Vortech Battery Backup?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ensure that you unplug the battery backup from its own power supply so that you get an accurate reading. I believe that you will get a false reading if it’s plugged into power, even if the battery has significantly degraded. A good way to test this is to cut power to your system on a regular schedule (monthly, in my case) to verify that all equipment still functions as expected during a power outage.

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What battery do you get to replace it with?
I got this battery from Amazon:

567865B8-D09A-4F10-B7ED-04F1E8683482.png

Here are photos that I took during the replacement process:

7EB74896-AB91-4C86-BA6D-3DB6DF06B4E8.jpeg

(voltage of original battery)

D76FE581-548F-4B92-A93A-4FE9500B6DAF.jpeg

(removal of original

C6547786-0EBF-4BCC-8A2C-D5776A2E5B7D.jpeg

(voltage of installed replacement battery)

3B33200B-7CB1-4052-B1A2-5762E8342D61.jpeg

(installed replacement battery)

Last edited:

bckey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered an ecotech battery backup from premium aquatics on Jan 6, 2020. It arrived today and has a mfg date of Oct 2018. I was not happy receiving a battery that is already 1 year and 3 months old. Plus if I ever resell it then I lose there also. I know how to replace the batteries in them but that is ‘t the point. The point is I paid a premium price for an older battery. I have seen newer used ones for sale on r2r for a lot less. I will probably see about returning it. I also ordered some mo40’s from them that I have not opened yet. I will check the date on them this weekend. I guess premium aquatics has a much lower inventory turn over compared to brs. I only bought from them because brs started charging tax in Texas.

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered an ecotech battery backup from premium aquatics on Jan 6, 2020. It arrived today and has a mfg date of Oct 2018. I was not happy receiving a battery that is already 1 year and 3 months old. Plus if I ever resell it then I lose there also. I know how to replace the batteries in them but that is ‘t the point. The point is I paid a premium price for an older battery. I have seen newer used ones for sale on r2r for a lot less. I will probably see about returning it. I also ordered some mo40’s from them that I have not opened yet. I will check the date on them this weekend. I guess premium aquatics has a much lower inventory turn over compared to brs. I only bought from them because brs started charging tax in Texas.
I wouldn’t be concerned about the MP40s simply because there shouldn’t be any parts that degrade while on the shelf. Also, I don’t believe that the pumps have seen manufacturing or materials changes in a long time. However, I would contact EcoTech and see if they Can provide you with information about the longevity of the battery given manufacturing date and time on the shelf.

bckey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t be concerned about the MP40s simply because there shouldn’t be any parts that degrade while on the shelf. Also, I don’t believe that the pumps have seen manufacturing or materials changes in a long time. However, I would contact EcoTech and see if they Can provide you with information about the longevity of the battery given manufacturing date and time on the shelf.
Not concerned about the pump dates other than resale. When you sell used equipment
newer is always better. Not saying I would sell them anytime soon but when I upgrade in the future sometime maybe.
The battery is another story. We are taliking about shelf life and those are notorious for dying out on the shorter end of the life cycle. I can replace it myself but these things cost a premium so I want to at least start out with the newsst possible. I could have purchased a newer used one on here than the one I got.

Bent17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone share with me the link for the Battery voltage display as I can't find it online

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back