Ecotech MP40 Issue

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else see this problem with their Ecotech MP40’s? I am doing my quarterly cleaning of the MP40’s, and when I take one apart I find a small sliver of plastic broken off the Wet Frame. This is the second time I’ve had this issue. You can see the finger-nail shaped piece of plastic to the left, and where it broke off in the hole in the middle of the Wet Frame.

3416700d-5088-4780-ae33-3f50107034b5_zps8852a42e.jpg

For a temporary fix I’ll epoxy the small piece back, and consider ordering a replacement Wet Frame from Ecotech.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being thats its the second time, it makes me think there is something not aligned correctly. Maybe email ecotech and ask for a replacement?

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the price of those things, they should be indestructible!

Please!!! I’ve already had to replace the bearings on the dry side of an MP10 that was just out of warrantee. Luckily someone did a very nice write-up on DIY bearing replacement, and so it only cost less than $20.

Being thats its the second time, it makes me think there is something not aligned correctly. Maybe email ecotech and ask for a replacement?

Dowtish, I have three of these things. I’m not sure the breakage occurred on the same dryside setup. There certainly was no noise, suggesting misalignment. In addition, there was no indication that this piece was broken, until I took it apart. It was still running just fine in the tank.

As far as calling Ecotech and asking for a replacement…these are out of warrantee. Would they even consider shipping a new one??? One their website they show the replacement for $10, plus $7.95 shipping.

ryanscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had mine do this after two weeks of owning in echo tech sent me one overnight. They are very good with they're customer service. Mine was caused by it running out of the water for a minute. The bearing heated up which melted the plastic , it was my fault and they still sent a new wet side to me.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a common problem imo- they should give you an extra piece when you buy it....

do yourself a favor and return it and buy 8 wp-40's

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 87 42.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 100 48.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.4%
Back