Ecotech Reef Link

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless new MP are comming then vectra ;Nailbiting

There just was an update to the vectra with the gen2 models. Vortech hasn’t had any updates since the QD three (maybe four) years ago. I’d imagine those bought new will have something like ‘möbius ready’ on them. A more substantial MP upgrade would be cool, though it’s hard to see how they would improve them. I’m a huge vortech fan; more tempered with the rest of their stuff.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There just was an update to the vectra with the gen2 models. Vortech hasn’t had any updates since the QD three (maybe four) years ago. I’d imagine those bought new will have something like ‘möbius ready’ on them. A more substantial MP upgrade would be cool, though it’s hard to see how they would improve them. I’m a huge vortech fan; more tempered with the rest of their stuff.

What is lacking with the MP's ? The guards have some pitfalls but that's an easy fix, what is most needed is directional
flow, Just think if you could adjust flow pattern to a super wide pattern or program to osculate from wide to narrow every 10 seconds ;Wideyed
Now think induction ;) Utilize the already spinning Magnet/Rotor and place a flat stator in the base, now you have an onboard power supply to direct flow. More flow=Greater RPM=higher voltage to overcome increased pressure on louvers/guards or to direct the flow, Now a couple few years of testing to work the bugs out. Your welcome :p

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
--SNIP--
Now think induction ;) Utilize the already spinning Magnet/Rotor and place a flat stator in the base, now you have an onboard power supply to direct flow. More flow=Greater RPM=higher voltage to overcome increased pressure on louvers/guards or to direct the flow, Now a couple few years of testing to work the bugs out. Your welcome :p

The problem with that is that the efficiency would drop off by quite a bit.
To get the same kind of flow you would use a lot more power and the size of the wet side would become enormous. It's a good idea but I just don't see it ever becoming popular due to the size and the money it would cost.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with that is that the efficiency would drop off by quite a bit.
Not that much, maybe 10-15% . Who runs their pumps at 90% ? It's all R&D

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do.

I have MP40WQD and there are a few times during the day that they run at full max speed like during nutrient transport. I let them ramp all the way up and it really moves water around.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do.

I have MP40WQD and there are a few times during the day that they run at full max speed like during nutrient transport. I let them ramp all the way up and it really moves water around.
Your 40's are like my 10's in my 100 gallon

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is lacking with the MP's ? The guards have some pitfalls but that's an easy fix, what is most needed is directional
flow, Just think if you could adjust flow pattern to a super wide pattern or program to osculate from wide to narrow every 10 seconds ;Wideyed

I don’t need any of that LOL. Just seems like a really good way to add unnecessary complexity and failure vectors.

Last edited:

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No a lot more than 15%.
Your using the main motor to energize a generator coil that is then going to power another motor to turn the prop! All of this through a 1/2” thick piece of glass? While housing the pickup coil and the prop drive motor in the wet side??

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t need any of that LOL. Just seems like a really good way to add unnecessary complexity and failure vectors.
That's what they told the guy that invented the vortech's :p
No a lot more than 15%.

Come on, your not powering a pump, just a plunger which uses a magnetic field, magnets do the work.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what they told the guy that invented the vortech's :p

Yes, I’m sure that’s true. Though if you peruse the boards you do find a great many people for whom the notion of needing a specific spacer for the glass thickness of their tank is an eternally elusive concept. I also have found it interesting that none of the ‘IP agnostic’ companies have reverse engineered a vortech. My main issue with the vortech was noise, and I did not think there would be a way to address that .... so perhaps there is something new and innovative they could do. I guess we shall see.

I would like to see them redesign the hanger gasket for the MP60 though. You get that and a stick on hanger hook, but the gasket stretches too much so as to make it essentially useless.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I will also bet their patents prevent others from copying the process. It is quite an ingenious process.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back