Ecotech reeflink or apex wxm?

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I'm upgrading to a new reefer 525xl... I have apex running my kessil lights and jebao pumps now.
I have a new vectra m1 pump, new radions G3 pro, and 2 new mp40qd... I could get the wxm but it will not control vectra pump because I guess ecotech and neptune parted ways here....:-(
So, I'm torn between getting the wxm, or the reeflink... Does anyone have any experience, thoughts, advice on this??
I'm ok with apex just "monitoring" my system and maybe reeflink for programming all the cool things that ecotech stuff can do?
Thanks

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty I would get the wxm. It controls everything except the vectra, but it's a return pump how much will you really need to control? If you want it to shut off for feeding and such a simple command put it in the outlet it's plugged into will take care of that. I find it easier to work with everything when it's all in one location or app.

OP
OP
Clarksski

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there acro killer...:)
One of the things the vectra can do with a controller...is on feed mode....slow to just a trickle, never really shut off. I thought this could be a cool feature to avoid a surge in sump,skimmer overflow, temp increase...etc. maybe it just sounds good but not really that crucial?
I guess since I'm going to be "team ecotech" .. I thought the master control for ecotech would be better?
Does the wxm control all the proprietary features on the ecotech lights and pumps??
Thanks

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the wxm allows you to control all the features of the radions and vortechs. You can program the apex to do feed modes as well, But to get the vectra to do that as well you would need to manually have it go to feed mode. I usually always leave my return on and only have my vortechs shut off during feeding, the return provides enough flow to keep the food suspended so my fish and inverts can get it all. Hardly any goes down to the sump uneaten

go29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will agree with getting WXM over the reef link..... as far as your statement on "slowing down to a trickle", maybe i am mistaken but would that not still cause the sump level to rise, just like turing off your return pump? Slowing down initially means that water will drain all down to your sump, and then after that initial drain (raising the level enough to mess with skimmer etc), it will then basically just operate slowly enough to keep a trickle coming down into sump. To me this seems unnecessary as you will still already have messed with your sump level just as much as say turning off the pump completely since the return pump "ramping" down will do nothing to the water already draining down to your sump anyways. Just a thought :)

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lot of problems with my Radion G3 Pro and the WXM. I eventually unlinked and started running the lights independent of the Apex due to the "missing" lights issue in which case they're also off and corals don't get light. Some people seem to get that issue solved, but I gave up on it. Everything else it ran fine though - pumps.

OP
OP
Clarksski

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...idk.. Anyone out there with the vectra on a reeflink? Anyone? Is it worth it to control a return pump??
Acro killer- I left my return on tonite when I fed and everything just blew around tank... I have a 90 gal with too much live rock and about 30 nemes and half dozen fish... Fish have a hard time getting to food because of all the live rock covered with the nemes... New build will have less rock and many less anemones...(how to get nemes off rock..different thread haha:))

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
OP
OP
Clarksski

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sabellafella.. Thank u for the warm welcome!!! I already feel like this is a great forum with very nice members... I appreciate the link to the Red Sea reefers.. I'm gonna look thru the posts and see what might help me along on this build...

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi Sabellafella.. Thank u for the warm welcome!!! I already feel like this is a great forum with very nice members... I appreciate the link to the Red Sea reefers.. I'm gonna look thru the posts and see what might help me along on this build...
Litterally i think every single person in the thread run the vectra along with an apex but me lol maybe they can give you some ideas to decide on. Personally i would go with the wxm, im pretty sure you can calibrate the vectra and access the feed mode (slowdown) on the controller. If you want to use the vectra at different speeds throught the day, you would always be adjusting the redsea overflow valve(witch is pretty sweet and silent). Theres tons of pros and cons but r2r has alot of info on both the reeflink and wxm , hopefully it could be of help

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running my radions with my apex. A couple of days ago I decided I wanted to try ecosmart just to see if it had better options for programming / acclimation. In my opinion it's not user friendly / intuitive at all. Once I kinda figured out how to set up the programming I had difficulty getting all three lights to work. I can't tell you how many times I had to unplug them trying to get them all synced and programmed. The first day one light turned off in the middle of the evening. I didn't want to deal with it at that point but then when the other two lights didn't turn off at the scheduled time I just ended up manually turning them off completely. The next day I was able to get all three lights to accept the program and work correctly. My next mistake was trying to go back and adjust the program so that there was moon light...again issue with all the lights staying connected and getting all three to update the programs. Yesterday day I decided it wasn't worth it and was going to go back to my apex. I couldn't get the apex to recognize them...it's like ecosmart had taken hold of them and wasn't going to let them go!!! ;-) After about 2 hours I was finally able to get them to do a factory reset and connected back to the apex...and now all is back to normal!

DansReef.co.uk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 penneth here ..

Im about to do a review on the channel on the Apex WXM Module.

I was a Reeflink user for months (maybe 6?). It would flake out and crash 50% of the time. ALWAYS when i needed it most, sometimes urgently. I was left unable to control lights, my vectra pump, vortechs. Absolutely pain in the butt. Eventually i got sick of it and unplugged it.

I then got myself an Apex WXM module to control my Radions & Vortechs from within Apex. Its been going 2 months almost and hasnt cut out once.

I too have a Vectra pump and annoted Ecotech havnt given Vectra compatibility but hey their loss, looks like ill be getting a COR when Neptune drop that.

I love having a controllably ecosystem but Ecotech are really making it hard by ignoring the Vectra and having a reefink that only works 50% of the time.

Its not often i get annoyed with kit, the reeflink sadly annoyed me, which is a shame as it made programming the lights and pumps a doddle.

Apex & WXM get the vote for me. (FYI i run a Reefer 525 XL too)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Clarksski

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your two penneth were well received on this end. Thanks Dan. I'm ordering right now from BRS a wxm and a ecotech battery back up. Appreciate everyone's input.

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to get a Neptune controller at some point but until then I do everything with the reeflink. I'd have both on my system. The reeflink is only $100 so it isn't bad.

OP
OP
Clarksski

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shadow...I'm not 100% sure but I have the feeling that you can't run both at the same time. It's either one or the other.
Although, maybe you could use reeflink to control vectra alone and wxm for lights and pumps... Guess I'm trying to be simplified...
New build costs enough as it is!
Scott..are u running the vectra on reeflink??? Or only lights and pumps?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run both at the same time but you'll only be controlling the lights with the reeflink...you wouldn't also be able to control them with the apex at the same time.

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running my radions with my apex. A couple of days ago I decided I wanted to try ecosmart just to see if it had better options for programming / acclimation. In my opinion it's not user friendly / intuitive at all. Once I kinda figured out how to set up the programming I had difficulty getting all three lights to work. I can't tell you how many times I had to unplug them trying to get them all synced and programmed. The first day one light turned off in the middle of the evening. I didn't want to deal with it at that point but then when the other two lights didn't turn off at the scheduled time I just ended up manually turning them off completely. The next day I was able to get all three lights to accept the program and work correctly. My next mistake was trying to go back and adjust the program so that there was moon light...again issue with all the lights staying connected and getting all three to update the programs. Yesterday day I decided it wasn't worth it and was going to go back to my apex. I couldn't get the apex to recognize them...it's like ecosmart had taken hold of them and wasn't going to let them go!!! ;-) After about 2 hours I was finally able to get them to do a factory reset and connected back to the apex...and now all is back to normal!

I did the same thing a couple week back. I tried to make the switch and it was a few days of pain and frustration. The WMX is by far the better option in my opinion. I ended up doing a factory reset and linked my lights back to the apex and reloaded my program for lighting. Ecosmart looks nice but when your updating the lights and they fail to load the new schedule and you have to unplug the lights restart ecosmart live multiple times when you want to make adjustments to your lighting schedule. Its annoying and frustrating. I'm very tech savvy I use to build computers and install/upload programs. They really need to work out some bugs. The Apex/WMX is easy to use its straight forward.

Hope this helps.

I run 3 Radions over my tank. Two XR15 pro and one XR30 pro
Two MP 40's

My 2 penneth here ..

Im about to do a review on the channel on the Apex WXM Module.

I was a Reeflink user for months (maybe 6?). It would flake out and crash 50% of the time. ALWAYS when i needed it most, sometimes urgently. I was left unable to control lights, my vectra pump, vortechs. Absolutely pain in the butt. Eventually i got sick of it and unplugged it.

I then got myself an Apex WXM module to control my Radions & Vortechs from within Apex. Its been going 2 months almost and hasnt cut out once.

I too have a Vectra pump and annoted Ecotech havnt given Vectra compatibility but hey their loss, looks like ill be getting a COR when Neptune drop that.

I love having a controllably ecosystem but Ecotech are really making it hard by ignoring the Vectra and having a reefink that only works 50% of the time.

Its not often i get annoyed with kit, the reeflink sadly annoyed me, which is a shame as it made programming the lights and pumps a doddle.

Apex & WXM get the vote for me. (FYI i run a Reefer 525 XL too)

Agreed same experience.

Last edited:

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 94 41.6%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 114 50.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.1%
Back