Ecotech taking on Neptune

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, at least for me, it's hard to look at this video any other way:

It appears Ecotech is changing the game regarding dosing pumps. I think it's just a matter of time when Mobius is released that they will release a power bar and some probes.

What do you think?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think each company has been moving onto the others turf for a while now. Why do you think the Vectra never got apex compatibility! Whether the versa 'changes the game on dosing pumps' remains to be seen. Even though the DOS, as example, uses a lot of off the shelf parts, there's nothing inherently flawed about it. Power bars seem so 2015 ….. maybe they do, but I'd wager they don't. Built in wifi/control chips seems like the more likely route to me. I don't know much about Mobius, but isn't it just to control their own gear?

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotta tell ya, i'm impressed by the way its thought out.
seeing how i already have MP's and radions, I might go the mobius rote when it comes up and put the apex up for sale.....
really only need temp control at launch, salinity/ph and orp would be bonuses.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think each company has been moving onto the others turf for a while now. Why do you think the Vectra never got apex compatibility! Whether the versa 'changes the game on dosing pumps' remains to be seen. Even though the DOS, as example, uses a lot of off the shelf parts, there's nothing inherently flawed about it. Power bars seem so 2015 ….. maybe they do, but I'd wager they don't. Built in wifi/control chips seems like the more likely route to me. I don't know much about Mobius, but isn't it just to control their own gear?

I agree, built in wifi chips are the way to go. Power bars are so limiting and a bit archaic. I like the power monitoring, but that could be done with the correct hardware/software in each device.

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think power bars still have their place, I don't necessarily need a chipped skimmer or filter roller. I DO like the stack-ability and modularity of these versa dosers. Just drop 'em in and control via the app. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like it is/will be well built. I don't think I'd go calling it a game changer based on a marketing video for it.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think each company has been moving onto the others turf for a while now. Why do you think the Vectra never got apex compatibility!

There are other companies that are not compatible with the Apex too..
I think Neptune made a mistake starting to make equipment. They made themselves competitors to the same companies they need to support the Apex.
It is different if they made equipment that others are not making.
I think they are ok since they are the largest right now but that ever changes the equipment manufacturers will defect fast.

kenneking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I see some very interesting outcomes from the competition. Ecotech has a ways to go to build up to the adaptability that Neptunes offers, but having Neptunes, GHL, and Ecotech all competing, there will be some interesting price and innovation battles in the near future!

kenneking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm of the opinion that price battles won't actually happen. Sounds good in theory but they will just stick to their guns. Neptune and ecotech already charge beyond top dollar and I don't see it changing.
I don't think prices will be slashed, but I think they will be honest. I agree that both companies have high dollar items, but not they can't just hike the prices without taking into account the other company.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Looks fairly simple and I can’t imagine other pumps are that much different. Some may use a different method but they all have the same end end point goal, and that’s dosing your tank.

What will be interesting is the price point on this compared to apex etc and ghl. Knowing Ecotech they won’t be cheap that’s certain. Better errrr it’s like comparing the dosing pumps used in ers to administer medication. They are much more precise and have a lot more I guess user friendly keys. But even when the hospital switch over some had new and some had old. They both worked the same but depending on the person they either liked the new one or stuck with the old. I can certainly see neptune etc upping the bar, since they pretty much control this section. They just won’t let Ecotech take the market from them. I can see them doing something much more elaborate to make a difference.

Last edited:

kenneking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And don't foorget we have coralvue coming out with the hydro's. Which IMO looks very promising.
I think Hydros is trying to fill the void reef keeper left. Coral Vue has always been this middle man company. Not high end, but gives you quality products. I think Neptunes, GHL, and Ecotech will give more capabilities than Coral Vue. Thats when the consumer needs to understand if they need the top of the line, or is simple quality fine for there needs.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are other companies that are not compatible with the Apex too.

Of course ....

I think Neptune made a mistake starting to make equipment. They made themselves competitors to the same companies they need to support the Apex. It is different if they made equipment that others are not making. I think they are ok since they are the largest right now but that ever changes the equipment manufacturers will defect fast.

Dunno. Presumably they looked at their addressable market and concluded that expanding into adjacent categories was a way to grow revenue. Absent a new version of apex, seems to me they're probably pretty close to practical saturation.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just won’t let Ecotech take the market from them. I can see them doing something much more elaborate to make a difference.
If I had to guess, I would think that this Versa pump has been a long time in the making, and the whispers of Mobius have opened my eyes to all these other companies adding wireless capability suggest that Ecotech has been working hard behind the scenes to get them on board with their controller platform. I may be wrong, and time will tell.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Mobius can enter the market at a affordable price point and fill the basic needs, it could be a game changer for controllers. Competition in this area is sorely needed!

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just like the fact there is no centralized controller box. And I do think the versa could be a game changer via it's modularity , app control, and possible micro dosing? Not sure about the last one (I would like it as I dose .20 ml Iodine nightly.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just like the fact there is no centralized controller box. And I do think the versa could be a game changer via it's modularity , app control, and possible micro dosing? Not sure about the last one (I would like it as I dose .20 ml Iodine nightly.
With a stepper motor, that wouldn't be a problem, although dosing that little amount would probably require a titration tip and the software to support it.

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Hydros is trying to fill the void reef keeper left. Coral Vue has always been this middle man company. Not high end, but gives you quality products. I think Neptunes, GHL, and Ecotech will give more capabilities than Coral Vue. Thats when the consumer needs to understand if they need the top of the line, or is simple quality fine for there needs.
I still use my reefkeeper lite and still love it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back