Ecotech taking on Neptune

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I don’t want just a doser- I WANT QUALITY AND GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE.... so I know where my loyalty will be !!

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, at least for me, it's hard to look at this video any other way:

It appears Ecotech is changing the game regarding dosing pumps. I think it's just a matter of time when Mobius is released that they will release a power bar and some probes.

What do you think?

I had the same thought. Either way, it’s tough to watch that video and not salivate for the workmanship that goes into those pumps, which may or may not be unique to ecotech. But I just sensed so much passion. Brilliant piece of marketing on their part at the worst.

But I learned my lesson on established companies entering new market sectors with the Vertex Cerebra. For whatever their faults (looking at you Dos, Trident hype machine), I’m gonna be an Apex user for the foreseeable future.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have all seen this thing b4: companies betting on their own proprietary tech and saying the heck to compatibility and the consumer.... I for one refuse to put yet another wifi app on my phone or tablet ...

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my main question as well - was hoping to get an answer in the video. At $150 I would be surprised.

Me too! Motor doesn't 'look' continuous duty …. but what do I know :rolleyes:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too! Motor doesn't 'look' continuous duty …. but what do I know :rolleyes:

though with continuous duty, I believe you wear out the tubing many times before the motor would become an issue. A stepper I presume? Didn’t watch the video

jelee01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sense is Neptune’s market share presents a pretty formidable barrier of entry for a truly competitive-like ecosystem of similar offerings. Many of us have significant sums already invested on Apex gear - not to mention time/engineering hours. But, Neptune should recognize the technology curve is changing and not remain Idle in face of tech advancements; else they may suffer in time. Fewer wires, more innovation, best-in-class quality, and no silly market hype let-downs (cough, Trident, cough), needed. Cheers!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sense is Neptune’s market share presents a pretty formidable barrier of entry for a truly competitive-like ecosystem of similar offerings. Many of us have significant sums already invested on Apex gear - not to mention time/engineering hours. But, Neptune should recognize the technology curve is changing and not remain Idle in face of tech advancements; else they may suffer in time. Fewer wires, more innovation, best-in-class quality, and no silly market hype let-downs (cough, Trident, cough), needed. Cheers!
not to go tangential to the original topic but this discussion needs to evolve a lil...
I'm guessing i'm not alone in getting electrical spaghetti under my tanks and too many apps on my phone... perhaps Neptune needs a lil competition, but at what expense of standardization? I hate that all my equipment doesn't communicate and work together... everytime I even consider a new product here comes another "app" ...

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I refuse to have multiple apps.
right now all i have to do is log on to fusion to do what i need. If i'm able to do the same thing with another manufacturers product, i'll research and weigh the pro's and con's. As my tank sits right now, the most expensive and most important pieces of equipment in the tank are from ecotech. (radion and MP)
Dosing pumps are BRS, and return pump is jebao. So ecotech doesn't have to go very far whatsoever to take my tank from apex.

**assuming that they're not idiots and my existing equipment works with mobius**

Ann Enomy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope Ecotech keeps up the quality of there products if they are adding more products (still have gen 1 radion and MP40 in daily operation). I have notice with Neptune putting more products to market there quality has dropped. I have had modules fail. Probes failing and power supplies burning up in the last year with not a single problem the prior ~10yrs.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 a pump, so right in line with DOS

I’m using a Kamour k4 Pro. Seems really heavy duty (steel housing instead Of plastic) has WiFi and a nice app. Better value than those in my opinion (unless you need a DOS for trident based dosing). Also comes with a dosing tube holder and your dosing lines, at $400 for 4 heads.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can ONLY imagine how much this is going to cost........
I agree it seems expensive to do what they are doing and not sure a custom motor really adds a lot of value. I’m sad that we haven’t seen many double spool dosing pumps. It seems like for 2 part and water changes you really only need one motor since the volume on both should be the same. Hopefully their system can run a second “slave” pump and we can at least save costs on the electronics. Honestly a dosing pump should not be that complicated, we don’t need to build a juicero type system.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
though with continuous duty, I believe you wear out the tubing many times before the motor would become an issue. A stepper I presume? Didn’t watch the video

A stepper yes. I had a BRS 1.1 dosing pump get stuck on a few years ago and the motor went up in smoke (not literally) well before the tubing wore out. I guess we shall see once more information emerges.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe less of a barrier than one might think. I remember joining R2R back in 2014 and thinking that it would be hard for it to be competitive with RC due to the huge discrepancy in the number of active users. But a more modern interface and ease of posting pictures and videos made it quite compelling and now ahead despite those intitial barriers. I think any business that falls behind the technology and ease-of-use curve risks erosion of market share - perhaps not overnight, but overtime. I'm not even suggesting that Neptune has fallen behind, just that a high market share is not the insulation against fade that it once was.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back