Getting back into reefing

Amiller295

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I’m thinking of getting back into reefing after a break of 10 years….(horrible tank crash). At the time I was doing everything as cheap as possible, so I never had anything Ecotech or Neptune.

A few questions.
Is Ecotech still the top dog for lighting and pumps?

If going with an Apex controller, would it be best to keep it all Neptune (lights, powerheads, return pump)?

Of course I will keep doing my own research. And I know that all depends on the situation, but just wondering if these questions were a generalized “yes” or “no”.

Thanks for your time!

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech is pretty good. But imo Neptune control isn’t necessary. Look at ai pumps wave maker and lights all easily controlled with an app

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquarium hobby is like an itch you can't get rid of right :) It can drive you crazy but you can't stop loving it! But I think there are choices between Ecotech and Neptune. Don't have any of their hardware but they are big names and make some excellent gear I hear. I think al lot depends on your budget as well. Nothing is really cheap in this hobby (especially over here in the Netherlands) but there are a lot of less pricey, and still very good options when selecting your gear. AI, mentioned earlier makes also very nice lights/pumps etc. I had AI lighting which was very nice (with a good app) and I ordered a new AI Nero 5 for flow. Gets some very nice reviews so can't wait to install it in my tank ;) Do you have some other brand/options that you are considering?

OP
OP
A

Amiller295

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquarium hobby is like an itch you can't get rid of right :) It can drive you crazy but you can't stop loving it! But I think there are choices between Ecotech and Neptune. Don't have any of their hardware but they are big names and make some excellent gear I hear. I think al lot depends on your budget as well. Nothing is really cheap in this hobby (especially over here in the Netherlands) but there are a lot of less pricey, and still very good options when selecting your gear. AI, mentioned earlier makes also very nice lights/pumps etc. I had AI lighting which was very nice (with a good app) and I ordered a new AI Nero 5 for flow. Gets some very nice reviews so can't wait to install it in my tank ;) Do you have some other brand/options that you are considering?
Definitely not committed to a single brand. Just at the time of exiting the field, Ecotech and Neptune were the best in most of the areas.

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not committed to a single brand. Just at the time of exiting the field, Ecotech and Neptune were the best in most of the areas.
Well, researching and 'browsing' around is also a fun part of the hobby. Just pick what fit's your needs, budget and preferences the best :)

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well don't take this as expert advise haha but like it was mentioned, AI has some cool stuff. I also saw the 'reef factory' lights at my LFS and they look super nice! From personal experience I like Aqua medic (they have all kinds of things: Lights, pumps, reactors etc) Tunze is of course a big and very reliable brand who make all sorts of equipment. And Kessil, they also have great lights, especially when you like shimmer in the tank!

SWFL Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I’m thinking of getting back into reefing after a break of 10 years….(horrible tank crash). At the time I was doing everything as cheap as possible, so I never had anything Ecotech or Neptune.

A few questions.
Is Ecotech still the top dog for lighting and pumps?

If going with an Apex controller, would it be best to keep it all Neptune (lights, powerheads, return pump)?

Of course I will keep doing my own research. And I know that all depends on the situation, but just wondering if these questions were a generalized “yes” or “no”.

Thanks for your time!
IMO you can control just about anything with Neptune. I have Ecotech, red sea, sicie Neptune and straight up BRS products running off my Apex. My energy bar and their dos pumps have stood the test of time along with my ATO pump. With a simple internet search, you can find all the common and not so common programing directions. Welcome back.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back