Ecotech Vortech - MP-10QD and MP-10 WQD - What is the Difference?

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a new Frag Tank (48 Long X 18 Deep X 12 High).

I bought an Ecotech Vortech MP-10 Quiet Drive (The Cheaper $235 version).

I really really like it so I want to get another Vortech for the other side of the tank.

I originally only planned on getting one but now I want two (I was told before that if you are only getting one Vortech get the cheaper one).

So I am wondering what exactly is the Difference between the two models besides $50 ($235 vs. $285)?

I was told 2 things by two different people.

1. If you get the more expensive one it is "Wireless" and you can Control it with your Phone rather than use the Controller that comes with it (I still can't figure out how do Reef Crest - The book just says to leave it on "Random Mode" but that includes 3 Modes - Reef Crest, Random, and Lagoon). Maybe it is easier doing in on the Phone and I can just say do Reef Crest only? I don't know.

2. If you get the more expensive one it will communicate with the second one (Obviously pointless if you have only one Vortech) to give you Better More Random Flow. (That sounds like they play off one another - when one does one thing the other does something different. Otherwise I am guessing if you get 2 of the cheaper Vortechs they both do the same thing all the time making them less beneficial. I don't know maybe I am wrong?

So are both of those statements true?
Is one True?
Are both False?
Does the More Expensive Version do other things that I was not told about?

zzzdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Statement one is part true; you would need to also buy the reef link system to control the pump with your phone,

Statement 2. Both pumps need to be "w" wireless to communicate with each other.
You can upgrade your current pump to make it wireless if that is what your looking for.
Hope this helps

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Statement one is part true; you would need to also buy the reef link system to control the pump with your phone,

Statement 2. Both pumps need to be "w" wireless to communicate with each other.
You can upgrade your current pump to make it wireless if that is what your looking for.
Hope this helps

Can I control it with my Phone (The Cheaper One) with the Reef Link alone?

Or do I need the more Expensive one (Or Upgrade my current one for $50) as well as the Reef Link?

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I control it with my Phone (The Cheaper One) with the Reef Link alone?

Or do I need the more Expensive one (Or Upgrade my current one for $50) as well as the Reef Link?

Great discussion! Be sure to check out the R2R EcoTech Marine Sponsor forum for even more info about your Vortech(s). (Links are at the bottom of my signature. )

Let me try to clear this up for you.

Essentially, your current MP10QD is "non-wireless" which means it doesn't have the RF chip installed. That also means that the only way you can control the various settings; i.e. ReefCrest, Lagoon... is by manually pressing the buttons on the driver.

If you wanted control of your pump through the the "online/mobile" platform (EcoSmart Live), you would have to purchase a RF chip and ReefLink. They are priced at $45 and $99.00 respectively. That is what it takes for mobile/online control of your pump(s).

However, if you wanted a new MP10wQD to work in-sync with your current MP10QD, all you would need is the RF chip for the MP10QD. This would allow you to utilize the "sync/anti-sync" features of having multiple wireless pumps. (You would NOT have to purchase a ReefLink to operate in sync/anti-sync modes. That being said, you would also NOT be able to control them through the online/mobile EcoSmart Live platform. A ReefLink is necessary for that.)

Hopefully I made that easy to understand. [emoji4] If you have any more questions about this or other EcoTech Marine specific topics, please don't hesitate to start up a new thread in the EcoTech Marine Sponsor forums linked at the bottom of my signature.

Thanks!

Randy
EcoTech Marine Product Test Team

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great discussion! Be sure to check out the R2R EcoTech Marine Sponsor forum for even more info about your Vortech(s). (Links are at the bottom of my signature. )

Let me try to clear this up for you.

Essentially, your current MP10QD is "non-wireless" which means it doesn't have the RF chip installed. That also means that the only way you can control the various settings; i.e. ReefCrest, Lagoon... is by manually pressing the buttons on the driver.

If you wanted control of your pump through the the "online/mobile" platform (EcoSmart Live), you would have to purchase a RF chip and ReefLink. They are priced at $45 and $99.00 respectively. That is what it takes for mobile/online control of your pump(s).

However, if you wanted a new MP10wQD to work in-sync with your current MP10QD, all you would need is the RF chip for the MP10QD. This would allow you to utilize the "sync/anti-sync" features of having multiple wireless pumps. (You would NOT have to purchase a ReefLink to operate in sync/anti-sync modes. That being said, you would also NOT be able to control them through the online/mobile EcoSmart Live platform. A ReefLink is necessary for that.)

Hopefully I made that easy to understand. [emoji4] If you have any more questions about this or other EcoTech Marine specific topics, please don't hesitate to start up a new thread in the EcoTech Marine Sponsor forums linked at the bottom of my signature.

Thanks!

Randy
EcoTech Marine Product Test Team

Thanks Randy,

If I get 2 Wireless (Or Upgraded) MP-10's do they sync up automatically or do I have to be in a special mode for that? Or Program them somehow?

RandoReefer

RandyBRS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly certain the steps haven't changed, but you'll have to sync them manually with a series of button presses. It's pretty easy. Here's a snapshot of the sequence and I believe there's videos out there still.

7e5129ba401baa06136b781b6cfd0a96.jpg

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • D/C

Votes: 54 61.4%
  • Both

Votes: 18 20.5%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 13 14.8%

Back