EcoTech VorTech mp60 dry side got wet- am I screwed ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was setting up the pump and had dry side on top ledge of tank- it got bumped and fell in - not powered up of course .... what do I do now. Does the dry side need to be replaced or will it dry out and be ok?

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It will depend on whether or not any salt water got into it. If it did, then will not be ok.

Do not energize the unit. I would disconnect the unit from the controller, disassemble it, and actively dry it out. It's been a while since I've seen the insides of one, but if you cannot dry all the components, you could flush with RODI water and allow to air dry for a few days.

Assuming you haven't powered it up since it got wet, if you follow the steps above, you may be ok.

I might also wait to see if any Vortech pros chime in - there may be an easier remedy.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would hold off on taking it apart. Throw it in a container with rice. Let it dry out, mount it and plug it in. Most likely be fine unless it was under water for a long time.

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s was in the water for maybe 10 seconds. I have it submerged in rice and will leave it in rice for a couple of days. Hopefully all will be ok.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt residue will kill/corode the internals over time. May sound crazy but if it can't be taken apart I would dunk in some rodi to wash salt away and then throw it in a bag of rice for a few days to a week. Salt will hold moisture as well so if it is not removed moisture will be present for a longer period of time.

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as I thought- Ecotech is crap...I asked them the questions about is there anything I can do...No- you must buy a new dryside! what if I leave in rice for a week...no- you need a NEW DRY SIDE... at $360.00 for just a dryside I am going to purchase the WAV pump from Apex for $199.00 and just plug into my controller...no dry side needed.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as I thought- Ecotech is crap...I asked them the questions about is there anything I can do...No- you must buy a new dryside! what if I leave in rice for a week...no- you need a NEW DRY SIDE... at $360.00 for just a dryside I am going to purchase the WAV pump from Apex for $199.00 and just plug into my controller...no dry side needed.

So you blame them for you dropping your dry side in the tank? lol. You broke it. 100% your fault. Correct- you broke it. Rice probably won’t fix it. You broke it. A new one is $360. To fix the problem you caused. When you dropped it in the tank. Because you broke it.

Please, if you’re attempting to bash a company, at least have a reason LOL

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am bashing the fact that they wouldent even consider trying to fix unit....

It’s a delicate precisely balanced motor. That got covered in salt water, so will be completely rusty- as well as all the contacts. How would you propose fixing that?

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@TheHarold

Same thing just happened to me last night. My controller wont power on now and on the dryside I'm still shaking out droplets of SW. It's a total loss. I totally get is 100000% my fault.

I am completely dumbfounded that @deansreef thinks EcoTech would have any solutions other that a complete replacement at their current market price.

A lot like.... if I put something metal in my microwave and it destroyed the microwave... I wouldn't call up GE and say, "you GOT to fix this! I'm your customer dag gone it! FIX IT!"

This CUSTOMER ENTITLEMENT of always getting your way is sooooo out of control, its ridiculous.

I'm aware enough that me getting my own Vortech dryside wet is absolutely a total loss needing a complete replacement. It's totally on me. Only brightside is I have a wetside now as a back up. Lol

Last edited:

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a delicate precisely balanced motor. That got covered in salt water, so will be completely rusty- as well as all the contacts. How would you propose fixing that?

Could be that even if repair is an option, the time involved makes it less economical. Gotta pay to disassemble and diagnose, then customer is upset they spent $xxx to hear it’s not repairable.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all that's inside the dry side is a brushless motor.

soak in RODI and take apart if you can and wash thoroughly. let it dry and it'll run as if nothing happened.

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I drop my hd64 in the tank a week ago dry it out threw it in rice for 2 days an it’s working. I got to mail it in to AI to repair an see how much it will be lol but it’s working for now

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped a dryside into my tank a while back. You must get the salt out. Rice may help to dry up the water but it will do nothing to the salt residue that remains. Take it apart, get as much of the salt out as possible and then wipe down all surfaces. Let dry completely and look for any remaining salt residue. Wipe down again, dry then reassemble. If you’re lucky it’ll work fine.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% Agree, the damage is done, I know this is an old thread but for folks that search this thread out. There's not much to the dryside, and encrusted salt is the chief concern.

Immediately removing it from power and getting the salt out by thoroughly rinsing the motor with distilled or RODI water is your best bet. I don't know what the percentage of success will be, but it's better than doing nothing.

Unfortunately, you're not going to get Ecotech to go on record and suggests this idea. Because if it didn't work, your thread would be something to the effect, "Ecotech told me to submerge my dryside in distilled water...."

It's always good to give them a call directly because they may have an easy solution, but in this case, you have to think outside the box and hope for the best.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back