Eel ID

  • Thread starter Thread starter AndyR83
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

AndyR83

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 2, 2019
Messages
67
Reaction score
44
Location
Northern RI
What state or country do you live in
Rhode Island
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I bought this eel about two months ago. It’s still incredibly shy, but I generally have no concerns. It’s usually always inside the same length of PVC pipe except when feeding, and even then only about two inches of it poke out to grab a bite. This tank was specifically aquascaped to make it a nice home for eels, so it includes many hiding places and mild lighting. I’m still hopeful this one may be seen more as time goes on but I understand reclusiveness is natural eel behavior and I’m ok with this either way. I noted a bit more of a predisposition towards hiding with this eel compared to my snowflakes and was hoping to research the species a bit more in-depth. This ultimately led me here to get a definitive ID.

The LFS told me this eel was a chainlink when I bought it. That said, it was a busy night and I don’t know if they actually laid eyes on it or not before saying this. I often go to this particular store on the day they receive new livestock shipments and this eel was still floating in the shipping bag when I got it. I could see a case of mistaken identity being possible since this is a high volume store and it’s often hectic, plus I know they got several eels in that week’s shipment.

The eel was about 5 inches long when purchased. It’s tough to be sure, but I think it’s about 8 or 9 inches currently. Its only two colors are distinctly white and brown. Tankmates include a snowflake eel who often shares the same PVC hiding spot for short periods, a dogface puffer, a fuzzy dwarf lion, and a watchman goby. I can add more pics if needed as well.

Thanks!



37589778-0C3A-4AA2-9AA9-B38083AB1962.jpeg
7794543E-ACBE-4B7C-A6E4-49068D5B1847.jpeg
3528AAB7-EFD8-467C-8958-990020DAC501.jpeg
83061068-E391-4F44-9FDF-7393A5AE8C00.jpeg
 
I don’t know a lot about eels but I’m trying to find it... I’m thinking chain link or Banded?
 
Last edited:
Looks like a chainlink to me, he's still a baby. The face looks like a banded but the body looks like a chainlink, markings vary and juvi's have more diffused markings; a banded would have somewhat symmetrical bands that go from head to toe. With the snowflake as a buddy, he'll likely start coming out more when he matures a bit.
 
I say banded. Its def not a chainlink

20200118_235105.jpg
Here's when I first got it. 20200118_234933.jpg
 
Hi,

I bought this eel about two months ago. It’s still incredibly shy, but I generally have no concerns. It’s usually always inside the same length of PVC pipe except when feeding, and even then only about two inches of it poke out to grab a bite. This tank was specifically aquascaped to make it a nice home for eels, so it includes many hiding places and mild lighting. I’m still hopeful this one may be seen more as time goes on but I understand reclusiveness is natural eel behavior and I’m ok with this either way. I noted a bit more of a predisposition towards hiding with this eel compared to my snowflakes and was hoping to research the species a bit more in-depth. This ultimately led me here to get a definitive ID.

The LFS told me this eel was a chainlink when I bought it. That said, it was a busy night and I don’t know if they actually laid eyes on it or not before saying this. I often go to this particular store on the day they receive new livestock shipments and this eel was still floating in the shipping bag when I got it. I could see a case of mistaken identity being possible since this is a high volume store and it’s often hectic, plus I know they got several eels in that week’s shipment.

The eel was about 5 inches long when purchased. It’s tough to be sure, but I think it’s about 8 or 9 inches currently. Its only two colors are distinctly white and brown. Tankmates include a snowflake eel who often shares the same PVC hiding spot for short periods, a dogface puffer, a fuzzy dwarf lion, and a watchman goby. I can add more pics if needed as well.

Thanks!



37589778-0C3A-4AA2-9AA9-B38083AB1962.jpeg
7794543E-ACBE-4B7C-A6E4-49068D5B1847.jpeg
3528AAB7-EFD8-467C-8958-990020DAC501.jpeg
83061068-E391-4F44-9FDF-7393A5AE8C00.jpeg
That's a super cool looking eel!
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 100.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new