Eel trouble

  • Thread starter Thread starter S2G
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 25, 2019
Messages
1,407
Reaction score
2,065
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I thought I had got in a groove with my snowflake. The other day I came home to it upside down and passed the day after. I've checked everything I can think of. Other fish are doing fine, inverts are unaffected. Anything that an eel would be extra sensitive to that out of the ordinary?
 
Sorry for your loss. Did you notice if his poop was white and stringy looking? It could’ve been internal parasites. If the eel was ever exposed to copper that could’ve affected its organs.
 
Both of what @Han mentioned are common. With internal parasites you would have likely noticed some other factors. In the case of copper, cyanidd poisoning, or even extended exposures to other meds; sometimes it can be without warning.
 
I haven't noticed anything that would hint to parasites. I guess it was exposed to something before I got it. Really just happened out of the blue. I've tested for everything I could think of but it still makes me paranoid for my other livestock.
 
Some fish are more sensitive than others, and unfortunately most fish stores run copper. If possible when purchasing copper sensitive fish (eels, lions/scorps, puffers etc) at an lfs you could try to make arrangements to pick up the fish when it arrives, before it even leaves the bag. I personally don’t buy fish online, but if you do you may want to shop around for sources that don’t use copper, at least when purchasing sensitive fish.
 
Some fish are more sensitive than others, and unfortunately most fish stores run copper. If possible when purchasing copper sensitive fish (eels, lions/scorps, puffers etc) at an lfs you could try to make arrangements to pick up the fish when it arrives, before it even leaves the bag. I personally don’t buy fish online, but if you do you may want to shop around for sources that don’t use copper, at least when purchasing sensitive fish.

Im not a fan of buying fish online myself. This is from a good local shop but I did not think to test for copper at the time. That does make sense though now that I think about it.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 100.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new