Eel trouble

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I thought I had got in a groove with my snowflake. The other day I came home to it upside down and passed the day after. I've checked everything I can think of. Other fish are doing fine, inverts are unaffected. Anything that an eel would be extra sensitive to that out of the ordinary?

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Did you notice if his poop was white and stringy looking? It could’ve been internal parasites. If the eel was ever exposed to copper that could’ve affected its organs.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of what @Han mentioned are common. With internal parasites you would have likely noticed some other factors. In the case of copper, cyanidd poisoning, or even extended exposures to other meds; sometimes it can be without warning.

OP
OP
S2G

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't noticed anything that would hint to parasites. I guess it was exposed to something before I got it. Really just happened out of the blue. I've tested for everything I could think of but it still makes me paranoid for my other livestock.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish are more sensitive than others, and unfortunately most fish stores run copper. If possible when purchasing copper sensitive fish (eels, lions/scorps, puffers etc) at an lfs you could try to make arrangements to pick up the fish when it arrives, before it even leaves the bag. I personally don’t buy fish online, but if you do you may want to shop around for sources that don’t use copper, at least when purchasing sensitive fish.

OP
OP
S2G

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish are more sensitive than others, and unfortunately most fish stores run copper. If possible when purchasing copper sensitive fish (eels, lions/scorps, puffers etc) at an lfs you could try to make arrangements to pick up the fish when it arrives, before it even leaves the bag. I personally don’t buy fish online, but if you do you may want to shop around for sources that don’t use copper, at least when purchasing sensitive fish.

Im not a fan of buying fish online myself. This is from a good local shop but I did not think to test for copper at the time. That does make sense though now that I think about it.

Back