effect of changes on established tank

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i have a new setup thats been running for a few months that has had my full attention pretty much. i also have a nano (fluval 13.5) thats been running for 3+ years and everything looks great but i just made some recent changes.

i had an anemone that got way too big and was starting to destroy my toadstool leather and monti cap, so i removed it last night. i also have a fuge in the center compartment but the chaeto blocks up my return pump every few days so i got super tired of fixing that constantly so i just decided to rip all the chaeto out of the fuge. i usually have low nutrients on this nano so i wasnt too worried about it but i was super suprised at how much chaeto was stuffed in there and it was way more than i thought. im gonna just fill all that empty space with more ceramic media and maybe add some more pods but the population looks pretty good right now.

was it a really bad idea to remove that much chaeto from a nano like that? i dont even dose or test anymore (past year) because everything looks great and i just do 50% water change every month or so. i have to test and dose phosphates on the new tank every day so im worried about the impact on nutrients. Anyway heres a pic of the nano.
1677604458658.png

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks good, but there is something on the sand, which are either diatoms or cyano? Do you dose phosphate? If so, removing chaeto seem to be good move. You have some LPS, I would test Ca once every 2 weeks, alkalinity once a week and magnesium periodically, same as nitrates.

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks good, but there is something on the sand, which are either diatoms or cyano? Do you dose phosphate? If so, removing chaeto seem to be good move. You have some LPS, I would test Ca once every 2 weeks, alkalinity once a week and magnesium periodically, same as nitrates.
even worse, those are aiptasia :D

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back