Effect of salinity on parameters

gatekeeperdi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Please can someone tell me if there is a calculator available to predict what the concentration of a saltwater parameter, e.g. Calcium, if the salinity increased or decreased. I am sure that I have seen charts showing this somewhere but can't seem to find any now.

I have just done my weekly tank tests and noticed that they were a bit lower than last week. The salinity has also dropped slightly. I use the balling method to dose Carbonate, Calcium and Magnesium. If I make up the next batch of saltwater for a water change that is slightly higher in salinity, would I just continue to dose the original amounts of my balling additives?

Thanks, Di

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple ways this can be calculated, but what I'd do is to set up a simple ratio. As an example, let's assume we know calcium is 400 when salinity is at 35 ppt. And now we would like to know what it would be at 32 ppt. Set up the ratio with X being the unknown calcium number:

32/35 = X/400

Solving....400 x 32/35 = X

X = 366

This ratio thing can be done with any component. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
G

gatekeeperdi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple ways this can be calculated, but what I'd do is to set up a simple ratio. As an example, let's assume we know calcium is 400 when salinity is at 35 ppt. And now we would like to know what it would be at 32 ppt. Set up the ratio with X being the unknown calcium number:

32/35 = X/400

Solving....400 x 32/35 = X

X = 366

This ratio thing can be done with any component. Hope this helps.
Hi, thanks for that. It should have been pretty obvious to do it that way but my Maths brain was on holiday this morning. :(

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%

Back