Efflantounaria

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received the book I'd been wanting. The in-depth id book for soft corals and sea fans. And in my reading I discovered something. I'm pretty sure what we call efflantounaria, isn't. The physiology shown in the book is completely different. What we have is simply a type of Xenia. True efflantounaria does grow in stalks, but the polyps run the entire length of the stalk.

Just FYI.

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll ask the author if I can do that. I don’t want to infringe on copy right. I’d have to take a photo too since it’s only in print.

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did a quick search on the net, this is the closest photo to what it looks like in the book but I'm not 100% sure it's exactly what's in the book.

Weiche129.jpg

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another photo online that I found that looks very similar to another variation.

Efflatounaria.jpeg

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to borrow the book from the library but it wasn't available in our library system (even the lending system) but if you are in a bigger city you may have it available. If they're smart they'll keep it in the reference section so you may have to read it there and take notes. But if you can borrow a copy do it. I'm really surprised about a lot of things. Such as what we call Xenia isn't. It's in the Xeniidae family but it's not Xenia.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wondered mostly to see how old the book was...alot of corals have been regrouped and classed differently in the past years .

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wondered mostly to see how old the book was...alot of corals have been regrouped and classed differently in the past years .

Yes you are right. And Alderslade has said a few of the ones known as efflantonaria will be recategorized as cespitularia. Just as nepthea is now under litophyton.
I'm sure there will be many changes from then to now, just as from now to ten years from now.

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But from what I can tell: (And sure it could change, and yeah I could be completely wrong) is true Xenia occurs on a stalk that tall or short, but a stalk. And tentacles can be long or short but usually in a "dome" shape.
True Xenia isn't all that common.
And what a lot of us call Xenia is actual Sansabia.

I think the confusion is, it's all in the Xeniidae family, but not Xenia.

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said this above "True efflantounaria does grow in stalks, but the polyps run the entire length of the stalk." I should have said, doesn't seem to grow in a stalk with a cap at the top, it grows in a stalk but with polyps all the way down the stalk or something similar. Basically the growth pattern we use to categorize it isn't indicative as what's pictured.

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But he's also said that being in captivity can change the morphology of a coral as well. So that makes me wonder if some of the multi-generation aquaculture corals would/could become their own species or subspecies if there are enough changes. I don't know enough about biology to be sure.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See here where xenia spp is encrusting also.
20191105_063040.jpg

OP
OP
MixedFruitBasket

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the book that's about 40 years old?
I don't remember. Is he a biologist? I know the two who wrote soft corals and sea fans are both PHD in marine biology, do active research, and Alderslade has actually discovered a few species. His work is often cited in research papers as well in peer reviewed science journals.
He'll be the first to tell you they reclassify stuff all the time too and or when they've changed stuff. Some of which is recent enough it's not in the book.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back