Egggcrate leaking toxins.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gary S
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Gary S

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 2, 2018
Messages
243
Reaction score
83
Location
Warren,Pennsylvania
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To anybody who may know, I am building a sump to accompany my new 55gal tank, and halfway thru the build it hit me that seeing as I bought egggcrate from Lowes, and it's made for lighting, is it even safe to have in the tank. Looking for someone that's had experience with this.
20180421_220037.jpg
 
I have used the white and black from the big box stores for years. I would stay away from the "chrome" though.

I have no scientific basis for staying away from the "chrome" just paranoid of it.
 
People have been using eggcrate light diffuser in their tank projects for 30-40 years. I know I have. I would say it is reef safe.
 
Yup. It’s good to go. Been using it in my tank for 3ish years with no negative effects from it. Multiple oddball projects with it in my tank. Even made frag racks out of it.
 
Made of Polystyrene, generally considered safe.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new