Eggs of a coral crab?

Yas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers,

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased a really beautiful blue-purple acro and I was so happy about it.
20180628223738.jpg

However, two days ago, I found a whitish acro crab in the branches. My friends said to me before that there were two different acro crabs, one contributeed to coral health and the other was just a pest badly eating corals. The one I got was this one.

15309272965810.jpg

It looked different from what I normally see. So I kicked this one out. But this wasn't the end of the story. At the back of the acro, I found some sort of egg-like thing embedded in the skeleton of the acro. It was covered with sand and I couldn't identify what that jelly-like thing was. It was so creepy that I took it out immediately and throw it away.

1.jpg

After I put it away, there was a relatively deep ditch. It looked like something dug it.

IMG_20180710_083101.jpg

Please note that the base of this acro was white in the LFS. The LFS said it was a part of the bigger acro before being cut into pieces. Actually, the base started turning brown after it came to my tank. The issue here is not the white base, but the egg-like thing and the ditch.

Before I put this acro in my tank, I dipped it in Revive, but I didn't notice this at that time. Probably, there wasn't this thing at that time I believe.

Does anyone know what's that egg-like thing? Eggs of bad acro crab? One of the experienced reefers I know had once told me that the bad acro crab is relatively ok until it starts reproduction, but once it started reproduction, it could cause a huge damage. Is this something he had told me about?

If they weren't eggs. What is this? Can I simply leave this acro in my tank? Is there anything I should do? Thank you for your help!

15309273050071.jpg

IMG_20180708_082609.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited:

Ledreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thoses crab eat acro that not the safe ones and they not laying eggs . They hold the eggs and realese the babie. The eggs you found is flat worm acropora eating not from the crab.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the store is right, it was definitely cut there... when it was cut from the ocean. :D It appears to be a wild piece, also why it had the crab. And yea that was a bad crab. Almost looks like a gorilla crab. However, crabs don’t lay eggs to my knowledge. They keep them on their body under their belly when they create eggs.

Do you have a close up of said eggs? If it was eggs it wasn’t crab eggs.

OP
OP
Yas

Yas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input, Ledreef. So it means worse than crab eggs, right? Do you know how to treat? I think I removed all of them, but If a piece of the eggs was left in the tank, it could cause a disaster, right?

If those were newly hatched eggs, AEFW is already in my tank, not brought from the LFS. So I think I need to do some kind of treatment. Does anyone have suggestions?

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input, Ledreef. So it means worse than crab eggs, right? Do you know how to treat? I think I removed all of them, but If a piece of the eggs was left in the tank, it could cause a disaster, right?

If those were newly hatched eggs, AEFW is already in my tank, not brought from the LFS. So I think I need to do some kind of treatment. Does anyone have suggestions?
Did the eggs look like the ones in the pic I posted? Those are aefw eggs.

OP
OP
Yas

Yas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the eggs look like this?

C9E10692-E7A4-456F-BB62-D213A54CECC0.jpeg
Actually, at the time I found it, it was covered with white sand. So I am not sure. It looked more like jelly. Also, it was completely in the ditch, not on the surface of the coral.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, at the time I found it, it was covered with white sand. So I am not sure. It looked more like jelly. Also, it was completely in the ditch, not on the surface of the coral.
In the ditch could still be aefw. However aefw egg doesn’t look like jelly. It’s pretty distinct. It might have been a sponge that was dying or decaying. I wouldn’t do anything right now. I didn’t see any bite marks in your pics.

OP
OP
Yas

Yas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can AEFW dig deep in the skeleton? Or does it eat only the surface tissue of coral?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dips will not kill any eggs.

It just looks like a wild cut to me. If you want, scrub it with a toothbrush, or a slightly stiffer brush... egg mutilation works.

OP
OP
Yas

Yas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi jda,

No, it doesn't look like a wild cut. Look at this picture that I took now.

IMG_20180710_111157.jpg

I used a tooth pick to remove everything. So nothing is there now. It was very easily removed. And the thing was kind of like jelly as far as I remember. I should have observed it closely.

As you can see, there is one big hole at the left side of the ditch. And it's deep. So it doesn't look like a natural thing, right?

OP
OP
Yas

Yas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust us, it’s a wild cut acro colony. :)
Ah, is it? This is a true relief! You know, finding something unknown made me feel like in a serious trouble. Besides, I've read so many worm disasters here and there. Thank you, BoomCorals! By the way, you have a collection of great-looking acros! I wish I were in the US to buy one of yours! ;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back