Eheim Jager 25w TruTemp Aquarium Heater is trash. Any alternative recommendations?

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am tired of dealing with this Jager TruTemp overheating my aquarium by 5F+ no matter how I adjust it. The problem is that the built-in thermostat is crap and continues to heat well beyond the desired temperature. There's zero consistency, even post calibration. The "calibration" is also a joke and just moving a plastic pointer to where you test the temperature to a actually be. If I lower it, it still gets too hot. Another day, same temp, it'll be -5F below expectations. It's insane how inconsistent this thing is.

Anyone have any suggestions for a small tank, 5g? My goal is a consistent thermostat that actually turns off when it gets somewhere within range.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any heater you want on a inkbird itc 308 or apex. All heaters are trash by design. They use a bimetal pole that twists with temperature fluctuations. By design they will all break. Protect your fish, coral and investment, run your heater through a controller. There are reasonable.priced options.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with a notion that it is best to run heather through a controller.
BTW, I have a plethora of Eheim Jager heathers and they are all serving me well. Did you follow calibration recommendations?
Here,’s the link to video

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am tired of dealing with this Jager TruTemp overheating my aquarium by 5F+ no matter how I adjust it. The problem is that the built-in thermostat is crap and continues to heat well beyond the desired temperature. There's zero consistency, even post calibration. The "calibration" is also a joke and just moving a plastic pointer to where you test the temperature to a actually be. If I lower it, it still gets too hot. Another day, same temp, it'll be -5F below expectations. It's insane how inconsistent this thing is.

Anyone have any suggestions for a small tank, 5g? My goal is a consistent thermostat that actually turns off when it gets somewhere within range.
You will get various answers based on use by given person and based on experience.
I am a lover of Finnex titanium units. There is also via aqua and others that prove reliable. Wattage with an inkbird is most significant in heating your tank when needed

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with a notion that it is best to run heather through a controller.
BTW, I have a plethora of Eheim Jager heathers and they are all serving me well. Did you follow calibration recommendations?
Here,’s the link to video

Yeah, that was the dialed blue knob I was talking about. Kind of a joke means of calibration, but I get it. Problem is, it remains being a 5F variance even post calibration, meanwhile, my indoor temperature for the home remains 75F +/- 1F variance.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any heater you want on a inkbird itc 308 or apex. All heaters are trash by design. They use a bimetal pole that twists with temperature fluctuations. By design they will all break. Protect your fish, coral and investment, run your heater through a controller. There are reasonable.priced options.
Oh! I see. So using a separate thermostat to switch the heater on and off and it sounds like it is far more precise. Thank you very much for the suggestion! These 5F swings have just become ludicrous, and my coral are paying for it. Much appreciated for the suggestions.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! I see. So using a separate thermostat to switch the heater on and off and it sounds like it is far more precise. Thank you very much for the suggestion! These 5F swings have just become ludicrous, and my coral are paying for it. Much appreciated for the suggestions.
Exactly this.

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the 25 watt heater is too big for 5 gal. when the heater reaches the set point it shuts off, but the heater is still hot. so it continues to heat the water.there isnt enough water volume to cool it before the temp rises. you should use a controller but it wont fix your current problem. try a 15w heater.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 25 watt heater is too big for 5 gal. when the heater reaches the set point it shuts off, but the heater is still hot. so it continues to heat the water.there isnt enough water volume to cool it before the temp rises. you should use a controller but it wont fix your current problem. try a 15w heater.
Nah. It was set to 79F, the thermometer I use read the tank at 83.7F and it was still on and trying to heat further. The internal thermostat is beyond garbage. I calibrated it and at a different point in time, it stayed at ~79F and the heating element turned off when it got to 80F. It's just not consistent and bad. I ordered a controller as recommended in this thread since the internal thermostat is obnoxious. Also, the 25w was a bundle by BRS, so I imagine that they chose that for a reason.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 25.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 55 24.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 54 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back