Electric Blue Hermit ate my Green Star Polyp??????

alfieh0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today i saw my electric blue hermit crab on my green star polyp frag, i took him off as i could see the coral looked stressed and was all closed. Its been a good few hours since this but my green star polyp hasn't opened at all. I've just realised that my hermit may have eaten the heads off the GSP. I thought it was closed at first as it looks closed but as it hasn't opened for so long i believe the hermit has completely eaten the heads off it, it can't possibly open.

I'm posting here as have you hear of hermits doing this? What should i do, move him to my sump? Will the coral survive?
image1.jpeg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than likely that piece of polyp died or had algae growing on it. I doubt the crab would make much of a difference on a green star polyp. I have probably 20 hermit crabs with many of them 5 and 10 years old so they are very large. I also have star polyps covering much of my tank. They never in decades killed a polyp.

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermits are always in the gsp. They're just doin their job. Gsp should open up within a couple days

OP
OP
A

alfieh0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than likely that piece of polyp died or had algae growing on it. I doubt the crab would make much of a difference on a green star polyp. I have probably 20 hermit crabs with many of them 5 and 10 years old so they are very large. I also have star polyps covering much of my tank. They never in decades killed a polyp.
If the hermit hasn't killed it then i must not be dead, and just needs more time to open back up again. As it was looking open and healthy just before. Thanks for the reassurance.

OP
OP
A

alfieh0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermits are always in the gsp. They're just doin their job. Gsp should open up within a couple days
Okay, thanks for your response. I guess i got too panicked that it ate and and didn't give it enough time to open back up.

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thanks for your response. I guess i got too panicked that it ate and and didn't give it enough time to open back up.
Yeah no problem! I panicked as well when it first happened lol.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back